Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
"Breaking language barrier"
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.21(Mon)22:23    Post subject: "Breaking language barrier" Reply with quote

I recently noticed during a Google that the Brazilian website and English websites gallery entries are seperate. This popped up as some species which had no comments in English had them in Spanish and vise versa.

I'm not sure if this is even feasible but for the particularly valuable gallery entries perhaps we could consider translating them? It obviously could not be automated and each one would take considerable effort but I think it would help share the wealth of information between both sites.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.22(Tue)0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

run them through free translation and fix the grammer. or if some one can speak both languages maybe they wouldn't mind taking some time to translate a few.

andrew
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.22(Tue)9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

*gryn* it's not Spanish it's Portugese. last time I mentioned to a friedn who is from Brazil that they spoke Spanish (I was totally ignorant back then) I almost got my head chopped off. LOL

marcos could probably do the translation ebcause he's fluent in both languages. Although he is soooo busy. Smile Maybe zeco could do it?
The Kapenta Kid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.22(Tue)16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not feasible for at least two reasons.
1. automatic translation programs only produce a rough and often wildly erroneous translation which has to be extensively revised manually.
2. Fishkeeping, like any other specialized activity, has itw own special vocabulary which general programs are totally incapable of dealing with.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.22(Tue)21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK: Thats exactly why I was hesistant about suggesting this. If we had someone which could understand both Portugese. I suppose if we had someone who knew both languages they could run it through a translator and then edit out any funny text. It might not even require understanding the original language in that case making things up would be risky. It would be really nice if the original contributor was around as well.

Huntress: LOL I hear that Portugese is totally different from Spanish but after viewing the gallery entries in Portugese I'm not quite sure. Having someone who could understand both languages would be required if it were to work seamlessly.

My 0.02[/u]
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.22(Tue)22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon people you're killing me here Wink the name of my native language is Portuguese.

Submitting comments to both versions is entirely up to the visitor. I have always made sure that my own contributions are posted in both versions, but it's just too much trouble to translate other people's comments. I already have more daily comment submissions than I can handle for each version individually. Just to give you an idea, even after a concentrated effort at the end of last year where I was able to process 1,500 submissions in 3 weeks, there are still over 1,000 submissions in my mailbox and right now I'm processing the ones sent in November'04. Besides, it's not just the language that's different, but the entire environment in which each fishkeeper is practicing the hobby.

I also speak enough Spanish that I could risk running a Spanish version of the site as well, and in the past I have even considered adding new languages even if I didn't speak them well (I know a little bit of Italian, French, Russian, and now a little Japanese), as long as I knew someone well enough to transfer the responsibility of revising that version, but as I said, with only 2 versions I already have more than I can handle so these ideas are impractical for now.

So what we do have is a Brazilian version, which is my personal contribution to forward the hobby in the country where I was born, and we have an international version which is my small contribution to forward the hobby throughout the world, and in the current world, in order to be a "world citizen" you are required to be proficient in English (and in the metric system! Wink )

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.22(Tue)22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I mistyped it. LOL I'm learning bare bones Spanish here in Houston and am fluent in French so it is much easier for me to understand Spanish.

I speak both metric and standard, but converting in my head is limited to km and miles and pounds and kg. Smile
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.02.22(Tue)23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um....I know two words of Japanese. Smile Inu and namanzu!

It is a nice idea though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger AIM Address
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.22(Tue)23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taratron wrote:
Um....I know two words of Japanese. Smile Inu and namanzu!

Hehehe...I've got some hip American friends here that greet each other saying nani ue, inu...which is a literal translation of What's up, dog? into Japanese Laughing

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Sahara22588
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.02.28(Mon)20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I wish I knew multiple languages. I'm relatively okay in Spanish, but only when it's on paper in front of me. Speaking is way above my level (that's energy level). I can swear in German (does that count?) and I can kinda understand basic Italian since it's similar to Spanish. I want to learn Russian....

Byez! Very Happy
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: