Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New to the hobby, and new to here.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
DrEmmerich
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)12:05    Post subject: New to the hobby, and new to here. Reply with quote

Greetings. I'm a new fish-keeper looking to make myself more knowledgeable in the proper keeping of fish. After looking about this seems to be the place to do it! I just started my first aquarium, it's a 10 Gallon, with powered hanging filter, and currently I have 2 Redtailed Sharks, a Gourami, and a small Angel. So far the Red Tails are getting along alright. They never bother the other fish but the darker of the two often gives the other a good chase. Glad to have found this place though.

By the way, no, I'm not a Doctor, but it's the Alias I use online for just about everything so it saves me some confusion.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome! OK your tank is to small for angelfish they need at least 20g. what species of gourami is it? if this is your redtail sharks http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_frenatus.php you will need to take them back to the lfs they get way to big. welcome again,

andrew
DrEmmerich
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. No they're just the red tailed, black ones. As for the Angel, it's the smallest at the moment (they're all pretty small). I got them at Petcetera and the guy said it would be fine in the 10G and wouldn't get too big for a while. When should I move the angel on to bigger grounds? Or do they just need more space than the others? The Gourami is blueish, can't think of the name at the moment and I didn't see it in the gallery. But that's why I'm here, to find out more from experienced keepers.
Mogwai
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board. Sadly Red-Tailed black sharks also get too big for a 10G, added to that they don't like other sharks - and will fight to the death, especially in such a small space. Check out the Gallery for more info. Shocked Smile
DrEmmerich
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked through there and yeah, I see they can be a bit viscious. So far my darker one will just chase the other about. So far he hasn't nipped him yet from what I can see but if he does I'll take one of them back. Another bit of misinformation from the Petcetera fellow. One question, when you say a 10G is too small, do you mean it is, or it will be? I'd hate to give them up right away if they can be happy in there for now, and later on put them into a bigger tank once I have money and space.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Emmerich- (from the cycling post)

I'd suggest you bring back all of the fish you purchased from Petcetera and give them a firm talking to. Then read the article on fishless cycling on this site, follow its directions. While the tank is cycling, poke around the gallery section for fish that would be happy in a ten gallon tank and that you like the looks of. Once you get a stock list, post a new thread to check compatability, etc.

Don't take the fact that the Petcetera people sold you inappropriate fish too hard, it happens to everyone at least once. Answering your question about the RTBS (and the Angel as well, quite possibly the gourami depending on the breed), despite the fact that they are now small, they are still not good in a 10g. Leaving them in their will actually stunt them, causing their bodies to cease growing while their internal organs continue to grow. It's a slow torturous form of death.

Also, angels and gourmis are a bad mix as well, IMO.

Hope that helps.
DrEmmerich
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, will do, thanks. What would you suggest to get then to start the cycle?
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this article- You'll want to use generic household ammonia free from additives like fragrence, etc.

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php
DrEmmerich
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Now you'd think articles like this would be posted by the tanks in pet stores. I'll try to get those fish back tomorrow. Poor fishies. I really like the RTBS but I geuss I'll wait till I have some more experience and a larger tank.
rachael
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.13(Sun)7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry! I think we all started out with tanks too small for fish, fish too bif for tanks, fish too big or small for other fish!
We are just lucky that we all got each other to help out!
And don't get too hard on the Petcenta guy - they don't take knowledge into account when they hire these people. Be better off writing a letter to management!
Welcome aboard!
Rachael
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: