Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Marine Species NOT for beginners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.07.10(Sun)22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

damsels, clownfish, most species of gobie and blenny. soft corals, hermit crabs.

thats your basic list of begginer fish/inverts. damsels being the ultimate beginer fish, however they are really agressive which isn't very good.

andrew
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.07.27(Wed)19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjh90 wrote:
What about an article of Marine Fish FOR Begginers?

Kjh, the last portion of the article addresses this for you;
certain wrasses, clowns, hawkfishes, some of the dottybacks, smaller triggers, certain tangs, gobies, even smaller groupers and predators, etc. can all qualify as good beginner's choices. As I have written, they are not all necessarily compatible in the same system of course, and some may need to be moved to larger quarters as they grow.
Many of the damsels (Blue Damsel, Fiji Devil, Domino etc. etc.) will actually make a fine beginner's fish, as long as the tank holds only one of that identical species. The quarantine system is as important to the equation as choosing a hardy species; even an apparent healthy specimen from this list can carry deadly pathogens that can quickly wipe out every fish in your display.

Last edited by FloridaBoy on 2005.09.05(Mon)13:51; edited 1 time in total
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.08.27(Sat)22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have updated a few of these items and added a few details here and there... to those who submitted ideas, thanks for your suggestions.
Aranda-Jaye
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.05(Mon)20:22    Post subject: how do I care for my anenome? Reply with quote

Hello,
I read your article with great interest, but only after I had purchased two anenomes - I have 6ft marine tank, 3 months old, under gravel filter, probably too much live rock - pH, amonia, nitrites, nitrates, salt content all OK according to test results - and have been OK for at least 6 weeks. I purchased 2 damsels & 2 hermit crabs, then following week, 2 tomato clowns and 2 anenomies - both white bubble tips, one with pink tips. following week purchased 1 blue star fish, 1 fang blenny. One anenome slowly died over about 3 weeks. water quality changed minimally when it died, but after a 20% water change - all seems OK - Was given as a gift 2 scatophagus (one appeared pregnant - see my earlier request for help) she died last week and I performed autopsy and could find any evidence of eggs. The other Scat seems fit and healthy.
Now my enquriy is what can I do to provide the best care for the remaining anenome (be assured I will not be buying any more for a long time!) - Please advise feeding regime and best lighting and hours of light - it keeps moving to hidden spots in the tank - so obviously it's not happy. The clowns love it regardless of where it is. It was under a rock for several weeks and has now lost most of its pink colour - I've moved it out into the open again.
I look forward to your valued advice.
Arana
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.09.05(Mon)20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend I am not an anemone expert, but unless you have reef system lighting now or are willing to spend a couple hundred dollars on adding it, I feel you should return it to the place of purchase. It simply will not live without the proper light spectrum/intensity; which in your case would likely be a metal halide solution, maybe something along the lines of the Iwasaki 6500K. More info below:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/anemonelightngfaqs.htm
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/bubbletipanemones.htm
Johnnyc
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.11.18(Fri)13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the information, I have been researching now for approx 3 monthes and still don't own one item of kit or livestock.

It is information like this that is getting me closer to eventually achieveing the dream of a successful marine set up.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.11.18(Fri)18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnyc wrote:
Thank you very much for the information, I have been researching now for approx 3 monthes and still don't own one item of kit or livestock.

It is information like this that is getting me closer to eventually achieveing the dream of a successful marine set up.

Don't stop the research...I did mine for exactly one year before filling my fisrt tank with saltwater. Research pays off. One great thing about this hobby is the learning curve never stops. You will always be learning. Even with a year of research, I abondoned my initial plan that I researched the longest and went with a more conventional approach, and I still have made more than my share of mistakes along the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
sunshine84
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.26(Thu)5:07    Post subject: Awesome article! Reply with quote

Thanks for such an informative & well written article! I only wish I would have read it sooner! I started my tank 2months ago and recently added a green mandarin. She's a beautiful fish - but I had no idea that the majority of them will die of starvation in a home aquarium! I bought her thinking that with heaps of live rock & rotifers she'd be OK. Although, now I'm thinking I may have to return her. It's things like this that people really need to know before they buy the fish, but unfortunately it's things like these that many people will not tell you.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.26(Thu)16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind words my friend.
Azorean
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.18(Fri)5:38    Post subject: fish not for beginners Reply with quote

This probably doesn't belong here but I had to describe something I saw in the wild that falls in the category of "fish not for beginners". I was snorkelling off the island of Mauritius over sand when in the distance I saw something that looked like a giant ball (like a tumbleweed) rolling over the sand. I swam up to it and to my surprise it was a school of baby saltwater catfishes. There must have been 300 or so of them and the way the schooled made them look like a huge ball rolling over the sand. Absolutely the most amazing thing I have ever seen. Since they are poisonous I kept my distance but If they kept small like that and you had a huge tank it would make a fantastic display. Now this happened almost 20 years ago but I'll never forget these baby coral cats "tumbling" along the sand. Has anyone witnessed something like this before? Again, something I'll never forget.

Azorean
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: