Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Marine Species NOT for beginners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
DGoldense
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 75 gallon tank with a fair amount of coral skeletons. how many wimplefish could/can I add?
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heniochus really should not be kept in tanks less than 6' long. So, the answer would be 0, really. Also, most reef fish do not do anywhere near as well in tanks with coral skeletons as they do in tanks with LR, eco-awareness aside.
www.tropicalresources.net
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.06.04(Sat)18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG, get a 125 gal and you will have more suitable room for the wimple.
You can always add some LR to your existing system, just make sure it's cured and pathogen free.
Fishkeeper55
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.06.10(Fri)11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really a wonderful article/and informative article floridaboy...truly wonderful work!
R.I.P. Sean Taylor #21
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.06.10(Fri)19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for kind words Fishkeeper, hope to get all beginners to review it... maybe save some reef life and aquarists in the process.
Ryan Yates
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.06.22(Wed)6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent article FloridaBoy.

My $0.02: I have never kept saltwater, but I recently became interested in keeping a lionfish. After reading a few message boards it seems that lionfish seem to be the reason that many people get into marine.

However, some searching showed that they're not really a suitable beginner's fish because they can be very difficult to feed and most feeder fish are not nutritious enough (e.g. guppies, mollies and goldfish). And there's the whole "venomous spines" thing. Whilst they probably fit into group 15 because they are predators I just feel they should be mentioned specifically (as many beginners won't know they they fit in there).

Just a thought,

Ryan.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.07.04(Mon)11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about the venom Ryan, thanks for your comments. Another venomous species I have seen in beginner's tanks is the marine catfish; Plotosus linneatus, sporting spines with a super painful venom, some have reported possible fatalities associated with Plotosidae. I have been jabbed by other types of marine cats; it was probably the most painful thing I have ever experienced.
There are a lot of things loaded with various toxins in the world's oceans; some leave only a mild irritation, others can outright kill you in minutes. I have experienced my share of them over the years, in fact I just returned from a dive trip to the Florida Keys and my skin still has several lingering areas of painful contact with the usual fire corals, jellies, etc. Even with a lycra suit, they always seem to get through. Maybe I'll start an article about venomous species often seen in the trade.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.07.04(Mon)19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about cuttlefish? their amazing animals which change change colours and are quite intelligent. however thier need for a species tank and feeding don't make them a begginer saltwater invert.

also as we also include anemones and other inverts in the list why not have Small polyped stony corals as listed not for begginers. their needs are far greater than any soft coral. DKH of 8-9, Calcium of 400, Stable temp, little or no organic matter in the water(so low bioload needed), powerful lighting and heaps of water movement.

andrew
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.07.09(Sat)13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points Andrew; I think I did mention stony corals but I agree cuttllefish and squid are good additions to this list. Cephalopods are not impossible and can be kept/even captive reared under the proper conditions (the NRC for cephalopods has over 14 captive generations of cuttlefish) however they are all very demanding of water quality and then there's always the possibility of inking the tank which is why they are seldom ordered/shipped to the LFS.
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.07.10(Sun)20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about an aricle of Marine Fish FOR Begginers?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: