Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Oscar aquarium size? Suitable tank mates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Arowe
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.01.18(Fri)7:59    Post subject: how many oscars can I keep Reply with quote

how many oscars can I keep in a 180 liter tank along with some other cichlids the oscars are fairly small the biggest is about 6in and the others arnt any where close to her size. in total I have four oscars I didn't think before I got them.they were all so beautiful as small fish and then they grow in to monsters but still,great fish no matter how much trouble that they make in your tank. Confused
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.01.18(Fri)8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Arowe but your tank isn't large enough for even one Oscar.

What are the other cichlids please?

Sue
MakoShrk
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.10(Mon)11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a brand new oscar, about 3 inches long. Beatuful white fish with gold/orange marbling. I currently have him in a 3 gallon temporary tank, and I was wondering how long I can safely keep him there before moving him to a bigger tank?
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.10(Mon)12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

A three gallon tank is no place for an oscar, even for a very short period of time. So, the answer to your question is zero hours, zero days, and zero months. Wink

Please either get your oscar a suitable tank or return him to the store.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
MakoShrk
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.10(Mon)18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK then. Luckily, he only has to be there till Thursday, when I get the 29 gallon tank running properly.
luv_my_cichlids
Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.10(Mon)19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about lighting in an oscar tank. I've read that oscars feel more at home in subdued lighting. The tank 77gal or over I'm planning on purchasing will have fluorescent lighting. My lsf carries hagen lights and I'm not sure what kind would make my oscar more comfortable. For example, there's the flora-glo (The light it creates tends to be more in the yellowish range), then there's the power-glo, marine-glo (more in the blue spectrum I think). I think there are more types too. What do you think would be best for an oscar tank?

Thanks
MCHRKiller
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.11(Tue)1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luv: Really unless you have live plants its not going to make that much diffrence. Whatever bulb comes with your fixture will be perfectly fine, I would however steer away from the marine bulb as it may cause some excess algae growth. Oscars IME do prefer subdued blackwater style conditions...hence the bulbs on my 150G are wrapped up in black electrical tape. They look like a black and white candy cane Laughing

Mako: I would strongly suggest you buy some bio-spira or similar pre-packaged benefitial bacteria as its never a good plan to cycle with fish in general much less a fish that is sometimes finiky about its water conditions such as an oscar. Also please note that a 29G tank is by no means a lifelong tank for an oscar...its a mear grow out for a few months tops. Before investing in something that your only going to need to ditch in a couple of months anyway...Id suggest you go as large as you absolutly can. If the 29G is it then an oscar simply isnt the fish for you. If you could only obtain a 40G breeder or 50G tank that would be a much better alternative...these tanks offer 3ft lengths and 18" widths. They arent the best homes for an oscar, but I do understand these fish are very marketed and 90% of oscar owners do not house them in the 75G+ tanks they really should be in...the 40Gbreeder or 50G is a workable tank size for the fish. Much better IMO than the standard 55G which has a 12" width...but any tank larger than that 3G or even 29G is going to be a blessing to that fish Smile
MakoShrk
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.13(Thu)10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's thursday, and my new 40gal tank is up and running...I'll be moving my oscar in this evening. He'll be much happier, I do believe. Smile
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.03.13(Thu)10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

MakoShrk wrote:
Well, it's thursday, and my new 40gal tank is up and running...I'll be moving my oscar in this evening. He'll be much happier, I do believe. Smile
for a few months... yes. I hope a 75g tank is on order Wink

Oscars are a large messy fish! A great canister filter and large tank are usually needed.
luv_my_cichlids
Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.13(Thu)17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

MakoShrk wrote:

Yeah, you'll eventually need at least 75 gal as number6 said. But has your tank been cycled yet? If it hasn't, it might not be a bad idea to do a fishless cycle. Although oscars are "tough", cycling can be hard on a fish. Ammonia and nitrites are very toxic. I don't remember about ammonia, but levels of nitrites as low as 0.2mg/L are harmful to fish.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to: