Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Oscar aquarium size? Suitable tank mates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ricTus
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.27(Sun)12:24    Post subject: suitable tankmates Reply with quote

hi, in my tank I have a small goldspot moray eel, a similar sized fire eel and a dragon goby, as well as a 7" silver arowana plus a 5" pictus catfish. I was wondering whether a pair of albino oscars would be OK in the tank, the tank itself is VERY large. ricTus
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.27(Sun)12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please tell us the size of the tank. Large doesn't really help all that much. If you can't remember, just give us the dimensions and we can probably figure it out. Wink
ricTus
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.27(Sun)13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

its 8ft long, 4ft wide and 3ft high, hope this helps
Lupin
Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.27(Sun)23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oscars are more than likely going to down your Eels, Goby, Pictus and maybe even the Aro.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.28(Mon)12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ricuts, big tank.
You need to clarify a few things though,
the gold spot moray is a slat water fish. Freshwater morays do exist and one can find two species (at least by name). Echidna rhodochilus or Gymnothorax polyuranodon... do you know which one you have?

Also, what is the current size of the moray (in inches? length and diameter?)

Right now you have young fish. Silver arros get three feet as do F.W. morays.
The 8 foot tank won't seem so big once the top is taken up by three feet of fish as is the floor.
The picuts, fire eel and goby will find themselves a food source by either the top or bottom predator.

Oscars try to eat fish. I could see them trying to eat a moray if it is smaller, or the moray will definatley eat the oscars if it is larger.
If I were you I would stick to the present inhabitants...
One day you will be down to just the moray and the arro. Both are amazing fish and I would be nervous about them getting attacked by some other predator like an Oscar.

Got any pics of the tank? The moray?
EndlikeriEskort
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.01(Fri)22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love freshwater morays, and can tell you that they can and WILL eat anything that is roughly mouth size, or even a little larger. I had a couple large feeders in my main tank for my oscars, which I thought my eel (also in that tank) would not touch, because I knew he couldn't exactly fit in his mouth. Well, the next day, one of the largest feeders was gone, and my eel had a massive lump in his belly. Just goes to show that eels ARE amazing, just like Discus Man said.
Fred H.
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.02(Sat)23:46    Post subject: would you consider this over stocking the tank? Reply with quote

I'm new to the forums here and wanted an opinion from you. I'm setting up 180G tank with UGF and 4 301 power heads and a EHEIM 2026 canister. For this tank I would like to add a pair of Oscars and three Green Terrors( 1male 2female) and a larg Pleco. I will be using med/large substrate and no other decor. So what my quetion is since oscars are "messy" eater's and grow quite fast, would you consider this over stocking the tank. I have been keeping tanks for well 15yrs Fresh/Salt but have never kept Cichlids, any info you can give will be greatly appreciated. I've read all the books but the more veiws I get the better, thank you in advance and please excuse the spelling where needed. LOL

If I left anything out of the equation, let me know.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.03(Sun)8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the oscar green terror mix tempermentwise, but you don't seem to be overstocked for a 180. The pleco will probably make more of a mess than the oscar. How much filtration will you be having for this tank?
EndlikeriEskort
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.03(Sun)8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green terrors and oscars would be fine in most cases. If you think about it, oscars are usually very dominant. Green terrors just want a territory. The female green terrors will probably make sub-territories under the male's 1 big territory. The oscars live this way in the wld, and they will no to stay out of the GT's territory, and the GTs will know to stay out of the Oscar's territory.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.03(Sun)8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately that's just a generalization. You may end up with an oscar that will tolerate nothing in its tank except maybe the pleco. Even in a 180. It really depends on the individual fish.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to: