Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Oscar aquarium size? Suitable tank mates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.23(Wed)16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to put silver dollars in with the oscar I'd go for a 75 or 90g minimum. Also, for clean up a rubber mouth pleco should be OK while the oscar is small. Both the oscar and the pleco poop a lot no matter what species of pleco you get.

I would make sure that the gph on your filter is at least cycling the tank 15 times an hour. You'll probably need 2 HOB filters. Don't go with a UGF because oscars dig and dig and love to rearange furniture so no pointy things or sharp edged plants. I would keep the tank bare except for maybe a couple of amazon swords or an ozelot sword. The oscar may or may not trash those plants. Oscars must live in high quality water.

Also, get a heater protector for your heater. I cannot emphasise this enough. They are little plastic things that go over the heater so fish don't fry themselves or break it. My brother in law had this cantancerous beast of an oscar who beat the crap out of the heater every time she got. My favorite critter by far she was. She ended up busting 3 of them before my BIL got a protector. She ended up dying from hole in the head, but that's another story.

You must do major waterchanges with heavy gravel vaccuming every week 2 at the most. Poor water conditions will contribute to hole in the head disease and once your fish gets that you'll be treating it forever. It's a real pain.

My favorite oscars are the regular tiger kind or red oscars. I had a show quality red before I moved here to TX andhe was my baby. Played with toys and begged for food and bit me once or twice but I didn't care. Smile One of the things he loved to play with was when I used the Mag Float on the glass. Kept ramming the thing. It was hilarious.

I think I've covered everything.
ultra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.23(Wed)16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks for the info huntress.

Iv heard about hole in the head diesease, do a lot of oscars get it?

What can I feed it as a staple food?
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.23(Wed)17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

HITH is a common disease for cichlids living in poor conditions. Basically it's aparasite that lives in the head and becomes "active" in dirty water. That's the short version LOL I'm not really sure why but I know the what and the how.

I fed my oscar Hikari gold cichlid pellets. Actually it's the same thing I feed my angels right now. Supplemented with beefheart (frozen), freeze dried krill, freeze dried tubifex worms, frozen bloodworms, feeders once a month LOL and just about anything he could fit in his mouth. he even was fed spiders and other large bugs. cleaned live earthworms. The possibilities are endless LOL

http://www.angelsplus.com/g/pastefood.htm

Here's a link for a good recipe to make your own food.

HTH
Badfrog
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.23(Wed)19:46    Post subject: Re: keeping an oscar Reply with quote

You've gotten good answers to most of your questions, lemme chime in on the few that (I think) got missed...

uLtRa wrote:

What tank size would just 1 oscar need?can they be kept on their own their whole life?

They can be kept on their own, but I think appreciate tankmates as long as they are added while the Oscar is small.

Quote:

What other fish would be compatible with it?

Nothing that'll fit in it's mouth Smile Clown loaches, medium sized catfish, and plecos make good tankmates, as do silver dollars, assuming you have the space.

Quote:

Should the tank be planted or will the oscar uproot all the plants?

Java fern is a good plant that IME Oscar's don't bother much. I think it tastes bad.

Quote:

what colour morphs are available? eg tiger, albino

There's a gold color morph available though it's kinda rare, and there is also a "wild" black and olive color form that I'm seeing around more and more often. I understand these are very pretty as adults, though I've never kept one.

Quote:

How can I tell a healthy oscar from a unhealthy oscar in a fish shop?

Simplest thing to do is to ask to watch the fish be fed. Healthy Oscars should respond to the tank being opened by going to the top of the tank begging for food, and should compete for the food. If the fish hides or don't appear interested in the food, that should set off an alarm bell for you. No sunken bellies either.

[edit]
Should mention that recently moved Oscars sometimes "pout" by refusing to eat, so you might want to ask when the fish was put in the tank if he/she won't eat. Could be its just pouting...
[/quote]
shaydawg0279
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.23(Wed)21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most oscars are so prone to hole-in-the-head because they are becoming to inbreed. I've seen people take great care of oscars and they still end up in bad shape. A sad part of the hobby.
Lynsey
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.24(Thu)9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver dollars are excellent tankmates for Oscars if you have a big enough tank.

Last edited by Lynsey on 2005.07.18(Mon)19:52; edited 1 time in total
anubisscott
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.24(Thu)20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, HITH is a bad disease. Lets just remember that its cause from parasites and poor water conditions. There are actually people who think the electronic waves from the heater cause it, which is totally FALSE. Just make sure water is clean and feeders are healthy and you'll be fine. Also, research and find pics of it. The sooner you spot it, the sooner you treat it, the easier it is to get rid of. Stress Coat, some type of Parasite care and Bacteria care(to keep bacteria from infecting it which is comon with it), and a good Gravel Vac will be your best friends. Good Luck Cool
ultra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.25(Fri)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info everyone,

so how would this setup sound?:

90gallon tank

1 oscar
1 plec (what kind?)
5 silver dollars (is there anything else that would be suitable? just to bring in some colour)

Filtration: at least 1350gph (what would be the best filter/filters?> no AC's or emporers or penguins because they are not available in the UK)

Planting: Lots of bogwood with java fern

Food: Hikari cichlid gold pellets, supplemented once a week with either bloodworm, beef heart or krill.

Maintenance: 50% w/c and gravel vac once a week.

Lighting: 2 wpg (too high?)

Temperature: 26 degrees celcius.
ultra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.25(Fri)15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

well maybe a 30% - 40% w/c, lol I forgot it was 90gallon.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.25(Fri)18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about oscars but I know that if you aren't going to have plants you will be fine with anything from .5wpg to 3wpg. 1wpg would probably be good for viewing.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to: