Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Oscar aquarium size? Suitable tank mates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.24(Fri)17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it may be possible that its harmful to the oscar if he is digging large amounts could get sucked into his Digestive tract and get digested(or not) and maybe cause something, the current might make him swallow small particles, its better to not go with too fine gravel as bohica said.
Brian Pellerin
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.10(Fri)18:24    Post subject: Filter Question Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have decided to get my first Oscar after comming across a 75 gal for only 50 bucks! As the fish will only be 3 or 4 inches when he arrives, is an Aquaclear 500 sufficient temporarily? I do plan to boost filtration up to the recommended 10 x tank volume (I.e. 750gph). He will be the only inhabitant because I don't like to see a fight - much less a Jonah in the belly of the great fish.
And God said, "...let them have dominion over the fish of the sea." Gen 1:26

And he spoke of... fishes. 1 Kings 4:33
RB_Piranha24
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.14(Tue)15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to get 1 oscar and 1 or 2 JD's and maybe some other small cichlids or something in my 75g tank. it has two emp 400 bio wheels and has black sand.. what do you all think? thumbs up or down? thanks! Wink
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.03.31(Fri)13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up from me as long as you stick to just 1 JD. If there was any mating in that tank the oscar would be toast.
Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.19(Wed)19:25    Post subject: Oscars Reply with quote

[EDIT: merged by moderation with the mega-topic on the same subject]

How many oscars can I have in a 55g? , can I have any cleaner type of fish with them? ( maybe a blue lobster? ) should the tank be planted??? logs or what????
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.19(Wed)21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

One oscar can be kept in a 55 gallon, but that is a commonly disputed topic in fishkeeping. Many people believe that 55 is not big enough, but I think that it is fine.

You can't really have much for tank mates with oscars in 55 gallon tanks though. They fill up the bioload pretty quickly and will eat anything that will fit in their mouths. I would say no to lobsters because when the oscar is a baby, the lobster would kill it. If the oscar lived long enough, it would kill the lobster.

The tank can not really be planted because oscars will destroy whatever you put in the tank plant wise. I usually "theme" my oscar tanks. You could do anything original. For one of my grow out tanks, I made an "alcaholic theme" Laughing It was decorated with beer and wine bottles, which looked pretty funny. It was more of a joke than anything. Logs and driftwood work well with oscars and it would not be a problem, but I don't like the look of wood without plants.

All in all, you have to be pretty dedicated to this oscar if you are going to get it. It won't be able to have many tank mates and it will live 13+ years if you look after it properly. I think that you should play around with some other fish before you partake in oscar care as I understand you are new to the hobby. Oscars take lots of dedication and LOTS of company and attenion.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.21(Fri)0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

master yoda,
this fish gets real big..I made the mistake years back of buying a baby one not knowing it would grow huge.
Julie
Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.26(Sun)22:46    Post subject: Oscars? Reply with quote

[EDIT: merged by moderation with the mega-topic on the same subject]

I am currently looking into oscars. It would be in the far future, but I can still dream can't I? Very Happy I was wondering the following:

What size tank?? (I want to know in gallons, everythings in litres Sad )
How much would a set up cost?
How much would a oscar cost?
Can I start with 2 or 3? If so what size tank?
And finally what are compatable tank mates?

I know they get BIG! lol. I also know they are messy, and they like live food. Which I would have no problem providing, feeding, or breeding. Smile
Thanks. Also if anyone has pictures of there oscar I would love to see them. Thanks again!!
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.11.26(Sun)23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pair of oscars would be okay in a minimum of 120 gallons. A 120 gallon setup with good filtration will cost between $500 and $1500, depending on where you live, and how you go about setting it up.

Most juvenile oscars around my house cost about $7 each.

To have a good variety of tank mates, you will want to look into about a 200 gallon tank. Things like jack dempseys, green terrors, and common plecos are often suitable to be housed with an oscar.
Julie
Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.27(Mon)16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. so green terrors? and jack dempskeys? I heard you wernt spose to house a jack dempskys and oscars together. would a severum work? how long would a 200 gallon be? roughly
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to: