Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Oscar aquarium size? Suitable tank mates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
brandon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.13(Sun)10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

when my oscar was small he lived w/ firemouths and a jack dempsey. I seperated them for about 6 months and he still rememberd them. he is in a 75 w/ a jack dempsey and a firemouth and they get along just fine exept for the few fights w/ the jack and the firemouth. jack dempseys don't usually target plecos, they would much rather chase your silver dollars. my jack is really calm compared to what people have said about them. he hasn't bit at my pleco yet, but my pleco is the most agressive fish in the aquarium. I'm not sure if your oscar will accept a jack since they were not grown up together.

PostPosted: 2003.04.13(Sun)13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

jds leave plecos alone. I have 2 with a black convict in a community tank with tetras and dianos and a fighter. I though the jds woud eat my dianos but one tryed and all of them gang beat them now they r in alliance, same with my convict, my fighter fish, my pleco, and my weather loach. it is cool. they all get along. that is in a 20 gallon soon to be in a 60-70-80 gallon. I don't know what size yet.
Lynsey
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.13(Sun)19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by Lynsey on 2005.07.18(Mon)19:49; edited 1 time in total
Hydroponics
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.13(Sun)19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear it's going well Very Happy
shaydawg0279
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.13(Sun)21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Dempseys aren't all that bad. They are going to be very close to an oscar in terms of temprement. I have a 10 inch male in a 125 gallon who is very docile. The problem is people try to put them in 30 gallons and in tight spaces, they are very nasty. He'll be fine in your 75. Your oscar is more likely to damage than he is.
Lynsey
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.13(Sun)21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by Lynsey on 2005.07.18(Mon)19:50; edited 1 time in total
GEV83
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.18(Fri)14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I would keep a close eye on them. Glad there getting along though.
ultra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.23(Wed)10:25    Post subject: keeping an oscar Reply with quote

I'm thinking of setting up a tank for an oscar, but I have never kept cichlids before so I need some help.

What tank size would just 1 oscar need?can they be kept on their own their whole life?

I know filtration has to be strong with oscars but what gph would I need?

What other fish would be compatible with it?

Should I keep a pleco with it to keep the tank clean?so how big a tank will I need for that?

Should the tank be planted or will the oscar uproot all the plants?

What do they eat as a staple food?

what colour morphs are available? eg tiger, albino

How can I tell a healthy oscar from a unhealthy oscar in a fish shop?

thanks
shaydawg0279
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.23(Wed)11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

An oscar will do best in a 75 gallon tank. You can get away with a 55, but keep in mind a healthy oscar can hit 16 inches and a 55 is only 13 inches deep. In a 75, you could do a tankmate if you wanted.

Get enough filtration to turn the water 10 times an hour. If you go with the 75, you want to pump at least 750 gallons per hour.

When buying an oscar, look for one that is active, has darker, more distinct color, and that does not have any type of small holes in the head area.....known as hole-in-the-head disease. This shows week genetics and inbreeding.

A pleco is fine, but don't get a common pleco. They get huge and poop more than clean.

There are a million tankmate possiblilities. Look under the new world and american cichlid profiles. Find a couple that look interesting, then come back and ask about them.
ultra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.23(Wed)15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was interested in not keeping another cichlid with it, instead something like silver dollers. basically large 'dither' fish I suppose, and not many just 3 or 5. What does that narrow it down to now?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to: