Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What's your preference for dried food?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic

What brand of fishfood do you prefer to use(or use the most)?
Wardley
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
Tetra
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
Hikari
30%
 30%  [ 8 ]
Nutrafin
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
O.S.I
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Marineland(Bio Blend)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ocean Nutrition
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Azoo
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
New Life Spectrum
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
other....
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 26

nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.05.23(Sun)14:41    Post subject: What's your preference for dried food? Reply with quote

Just curious. If you have a particular reason, go ahead and state that.

Edit: If you see any other Major Brands missing that you use, feel free to say so.

Last edited by nonamethefish on 2004.05.23(Sun)17:17; edited 1 time in total
ultra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.05.23(Sun)14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go with Hikari, they just seem to me to know most because theyve been in the game for years.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.05.23(Sun)15:46    Post subject: New Life Spectrum Reply with quote

I'm about 1/4 of the way through a large jar of New Life Spectrum for my big cichlids and I am really impressed with the difference I see in their colors and fins. The two peacocks are about twice as colored as they were, purple with yellow is very purple and yellow with purple is very yellow, before both were sort of in-between colors, the green severum has more depth to his color and shimmers more. The frontosa has a blue sheen in the white parts and most of the fish have longer more healthy looking fins.

It does fall rather fast so I have to drop it in slowly.

I will be using this for the new discus when they arrive, both the grow formula and the parasite formula.

I have all sorts of other foods, Hakari, BigAls', Tetra. Pellets, micro pellets, flakes, algae discs, frozen but no other made any noticible difference in the way the fish look.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.05.23(Sun)17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonaperson: Mind reading the ingredients? It says"No hormones" so my guess is that it is just packed full of color enhancers(spirulina etc.). As long as you arent putting the fish in any shows than go ahead an enjoy it.

I myself am using Hikari...as Hikari Betta Biogold was preferred highly over Wardley pellets(too hard, took like 10 minutes to soften). When I got my ivory montezumae swords, the original guy fed his on Hikari Micropellets, so I decided to offer them something they recognized. I have some Sera catfish chips and a noname brand food(which, surprisingly, the like very much as it resembles the micropellets in size and sinking ability...second ingredient is krill meal). I have a can of Wardley with only a bit of powder at the bottom, and thats the staple for the 10 gallon heterandria formosa tank(they are too small for normal flakes, and there are plenty of fry). I've been looking around to see if any company offers anything that is already of powdered consistency. I may try Hikari first bites or some of Azoos foods and see.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.05.23(Sun)21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonamethefish wrote:
Anonaperson: Mind reading the ingredients? It says"No hormones" so my guess is that it is just packed full of color enhancers(spirulina etc.). As long as you arent putting the fish in any shows than go ahead an enjoy it.

Here's what it says... krill meal, fish meal, wheat flour, amino acids, algae meal, soybean meal, fish oil, beta carotene, spirulina, .... then comes the vitamins and minerals and I'm not interested in typing that all in, too hard to spell! Krill was first and spirulina last, but for vitamins and minerals.

34% protein, 5% fat, 5% fiber, 9% ash, 10% moisture, Vit A 8000 IU/KG, Vit D 450 UI/KG, Vit E 200 UI/KG

But, is there something wrong with spirulina? I don't understand, is it not allowed in show fish?

I see the discus boards mentioning Astaxanthin or something like that for color enhancers, plus some other things that color a young fish but may damage breeding, (C or S something) but I don't see them talking about spirulina, I thought that was an algae, appropriate for algae eating fish.

JEHMCO sites says "Spirulina is considered to be one of Nature
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.05.24(Mon)9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Hiarki lately when I need dried foods. However, for phosphours dosing I still use Tetra granules. It's an occasionaly treat for the fish and food for the plants.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Mr. Coffee
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.05.24(Mon)14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use tetra, but now use wardleys after the big Tetra boycott a few months ago... Also Wardleys is right at the front of my lfs food islands, so it always caught my eye.
EndlersMom
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.05.24(Mon)20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said Nutrafin because that is what I have the most of.

I would love to find Spirulina without wheat, rice, soy, milk or other additives in it. For that matter what about other foods without all these things in it.

I did notice a difference in the stool of the fish. The white stuff which I thought was parasites, became green after given various spirulina based foods. (I try to avoid rice in the foods but so many have them.)
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.05.24(Mon)21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

anonapersona wrote:
nonamethefish wrote:

Here's what it says... krill meal, fish meal, wheat flour, amino acids, algae meal, soybean meal, fish oil, beta carotene, spirulina, .... then comes the vitamins and minerals and I'm not interested in typing that all in, too hard to spell! Krill was first and spirulina last, but for vitamins and minerals.

34% protein, 5% fat, 5% fiber, 9% ash, 10% moisture, Vit A 8000 IU/KG, Vit D 450 UI/KG, Vit E 200 UI/KG

But, is there something wrong with spirulina? I don't understand, is it not allowed in show fish?

I see the discus boards mentioning Astaxanthin or something like that for color enhancers, plus some other things that color a young fish but may damage breeding, (C or S something) but I don't see them talking about spirulina, I thought that was an algae, appropriate for algae eating fish.

JEHMCO sites says "Spirulina is considered to be one of Nature
Click Happy
Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.29(Sat)11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Wardleys because about a year ago when I got back into the hobby after being idle for almost 4 years, it was on sale. Only reason, really Laughing
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: