Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tiger Barb Biotope
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
...ben
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.08.23(Thu)6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devon Greatwolf wrote:
ceci9293 wrote:
Gosh, 12 tiger barbs in a 30 gallon seems like a lot...

Yeah I thought that sounded heavy but was recommended by my LFS. Whats sounds best to you?

I crave knowledge like zombies crave brains and hobos crave trains!

Of course an LFS would recommend that. Look at their tanks, they probably have 4-5 dozen T-barbs in a 15gallon.

Wink
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.08.23(Thu)16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say 7 tiger barbs myself as a non-tigerbarb-keepin'-guess.

Kuhlis need a soft substrate since they like to burrow. Heather K should be back from wedding-y type stuff soon and she's a loach guru. I think you should wait on her input. Kuhlis also prefer a well-established tank over a new set-up -- can't remember if you've said how long this tank's been up and running with fish in it.
kb46
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.08.23(Thu)17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

A suggestion - you might want to reconsider your colour groupings with a school of 7-9 fish. 1 albino &/or 1 green might look more effective amongst a school of oranges than equal numbers of each.

I mixed my small school (Cool zebra danios with equal numbers of the different colours and I found the schooling effect is overshadowed by the mix. It just looks messy to me! and I wish I'd gone for all the one colour variant.

Kylie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.08.24(Fri)6:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely don't have only one of a color. I tried that with my tigers, and the "lone" colors got left out the majority of the time. When I had even numbers of each, they schooled much better and there was significantly less bullying of the "odd-men-out." With other fish you could probably do such a thing, but tiger barbs are a bit. . . . feistier than most. If you give them something to discriminate one from the others, it will probably be bad. One fish significantly smaller than the others will be picked on and probably killed, because he will probably be too small to handle the dominance nibbles that occur to establish a firm pecking order. One fish signficantly larger than the others will probably peck everybody else ragged every time they're not in a perfect school (which will probably be fairly often in such a small tank.) I did suffer from both problems. The first problem resulted in the smallest fish getting pecked to death before I could remove him or buy more fish his size (my lfs is inconsistent about stocking tiger barbs at best, and getting one small fish out of a 55 gallon tank is very difficult.) The second problem was solved pretty quickly by hunting down and purchasing 2 other "extra large" barbs to give the big guy a run for his money. So far as I've found, even numbers of colors with no particularly discernible size differences work out best. I imagine since your tank is smaller than mine, dominance squabbles and temperament issues will be more serious, so you should probably try to stay on the more "safe" side of the road if at all possible.

Please keep in mind that everything I've just said is based on my experiences with tiger barbs, and that I really do love them, you just have to take a few more things into account for them than you normally would with, say, tetras. If anybody feels anything I've said is fallacious, feel free to counter it with your own experience, but please consider the old adage "Better to be safe than sorry" when posting your suggestions.

HTH! Smile
kb46
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.08.24(Fri)19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warning,Ariaanna, I'll file it away in memory for if I ever choose some tiger barbs. I agree - better safe than sorry.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.08.26(Sun)9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceci9293 wrote:
I think you should wait on her input. Kuhlis also prefer a well-established tank over a new set-up -- can't remember if you've said how long this tank's been up and running with fish in it.

The tank has been setup as a temp home for my Rainbow Shark and Opaline G for app. 1 year. The shark was re-housed to my 55-gallon and the Opaline G will soon be re-housed to a 20-gallon Hospital ( http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=47031&highlight= ).

My plan was to buy app. 6 of the tigers first watch for chem spikes, then get the rest of the tigers and wait for chem spikes, and finally add the kuhlis and "top-dwellers".

Owner: Have you ever seen a 26', 250 lb python relieve its self.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: