Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
fishless cycle-confusing test results
 Forum Index > Site Issues  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Post new topic
mick conway

PostPosted: 2005.01.02(Sun)18:08    Post subject: fishless cycle-confusing test results Reply with quote

I am a newbie to tropical fish hobby.So I decided on the fishless cycle route.I am impressed with progress to date.I am cycling 15g tank & for last 4 days of a 27day cycle ,my nitrites are 0.my nitrates are 10 - 20,BUT I am a little confused because my amm reads 0 - 0.5 & not 0 as is recommended. I am using AP test kits.Also showing 1st signs of brown algae dusting.I intend to do water cahnges in next couple of days & introduce 4 plaTIES & 3 cory's (this will be my max load). AM I NOW FULLY CYCLED?[/b]
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.02(Sun)18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mick,

The cycle is not complete until you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. Did you have an ammonia spike and then a nitrite spike?

What procedure are you using for your fishless cycle?

~Haname

PostPosted: 2005.01.02(Sun)18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your quick reply.I am using clear liquid ammonia from local hardware store.(no additives)I have to confess that initially I must have overloaded the ammonia as my readings were above 5ppm for 3 weeks or so without any action.After some research,I went through a 75 per cent water change,bringing my readings to 4-5.this is when I started counting my 27 days as quoted.I maintained 4-5 amm,then when nitrites appeared,I halved my amm from 10 to 5 drops per day.Everything seemed to kick in nicely,with my nitrites peaking at 5ppm then dropping to 2 ppm then eventually dropping to 0.My pH from tap water (overnight)is 7.0,tank pH after 27 days unchanged is 6.4.I suppose I will have to just have to stay patient.

PostPosted: 2005.01.02(Sun)19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose my naive knowledge of a hobby I have become immersed in has made me a bit paranoid about drastic errors .Has anyone had similar test results and am I just worrying unnecessarily ?
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.02(Sun)20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick, the Site Issues forum is open for guests to post so that people having difficulty to register or login may post here and get assistance with that.

It is not meant for people to discuss fishkeeping without the need to register. If you wish to participate in this board and get fishkeeping advice, please register and post your questions in the appropriate forums of the board, OK?

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Post new topic
Jump to: