Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Archiving the 2003/2004 topics, what do you think?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
pating
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.22(Wed)16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we keep the 2003/2004 messages archived in a different place to be accessed as read-only for consulting purposes, then all questions that may arise from 2003-4 will be put in a new thread in 2005. Would that be alright, Marcos?
Herbert
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.28(Tue)17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I run a search would it search even the archived messages of previous years, and what if I do find a post and have a new related question, if I post will it be bumped to the 2005 board.

Guess I'm asking for too much. Just thinking of how unpopular it could get if a lot of info is not available. But yes it needs to be archived anyways.

or am I getting it right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.12.29(Wed)9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why it wouldn't be searchable. It's the old board just read only instead of being able to post to it.

I say go for it Marcos. It'll definitely make things less cluttered.
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.12.30(Thu)2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're talking about a MySQL database, right?

Which is your concern - that it'll grow too big? Or more specifically, that when it grows big, it'll be more prone to corruption? Or that it'll grow big and take a longer time to search through and operate?

I often hear that at the 100MB point, that's when an administrator should actually *consider* using MySQL as it's less prone to corruption than other database methods. And you're already using it. OK, I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I do host my own sites and my own MySQL server. I can tell you what I'd do, before starting a whole new archive site. I'd make bi-weekly backups using phpMyAdmin. You can zip up your tables with that, (just one of its features) and save them to your disk. Are you familiar with it?

I would personally only keep a second site if it could somehow, in appearance, be seamless with this one. The way I figure it, is a lot of people just aren't going to be willing to go to one aquahobby site to search for something and then go to a second aquahobby to search it, and then if nothing comes up, post their question. I can almost guarantee you that most people won't do it. I'd do it, but I'd find it annoying. Unless the two databases were searchable in ONE single search, that is, so as to at least appear seamless with the current board. Just my .02 Wink Laskey
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: