Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Introducing the Angry Cuttlefish
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Angry Cuttlefish
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.01(Mon)23:03    Post subject: Introducing the Angry Cuttlefish Reply with quote

Hello the board,

I've had the account for almost a month now, but seeing as the request has been made allow me to be the first introduce myself.

My wife and I have been keeping fish for more than a year. We started with two small freestanding ponds (75 gallon and 30 gallon) in our carport/patio at our condo containg goldfish in the large one and a painted turtle in the other.

About two months ago I started a 10 gallon tank to grow aquatic plants indoors. I added fish to provide a good source of fertilizer, but since they were lively and interesting I've become somewhat of a hobbyist.

I am currently working on 46 gallon freshwater tank which will contain South American Cichlids. They seem to be interesting, and the dwarfs of the species will do well in my low pH, moderately hard water... or so I hope.

In real life I'm 26 and a software engineer at a suitably large and inefficient aerospace corporation. I've been out of school now for about 2 years and this is my first job out of school, though I worked through school first as a salesman, then as a civil engineering intern, web programmer, and finally managing a small ISP.

I married almost 2 years ago on December 31st. There are two stories and reality involving this most auspicious of dates:

The funny one is that we got married that day for tax reasons.

The romantic one is that we eloped on that day to start our new life in the New Year.

The real reason is that I love my wife very much, and I wasn't willing to wait another day or another year. Not so romantic as the second story, but I'm an engineer; we don't do romance but we do it by the numbers! Laughing

I have plans to one day leave my company and start my own company. I have a lot of ideas, some good, some bad. I'd love to write games and that is my other hobby. I am working on two products I hope to market one day. We'll see.

Thanks much for taking the time to read this.

At any rate, that's a very small nutshell of my life.
ultra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.05(Fri)9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovin' the avatar. I used to feed one at work live crabs and it used to turn the wierdest colours and have all these rippling colour patterns all over it whilst making waves with his fins. Cool little things.
Angry Cuttlefish
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.07(Sun)22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

uLtRa wrote:
Lovin' the avatar. I used to feed one at work live crabs and it used to turn the wierdest colours and have all these rippling colour patterns all over it whilst making waves with his fins. Cool little things.

That is pretty interesting uLtRa. Where did you used to work?

There is ongoing study into the language of the cuttlefish and other cephalopods. I've been reading a bit on it and thought that it belies our ignorance on the intelligence of so many animals. Apparently some cuttlefish and octopi are quite capable of communicating relatively complex things to each other, like threats. Some researchers thing that they can even give a direction as part of the communication. Not being a marine biologist I really can't say. Smile

Still, color as a language is quite a concept, regardless of the intelligence of those that implement it.
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: