Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Getting back into the hobby!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
emberzz
New Members

PostPosted: 2013.07.12(Fri)6:59    Post subject: Getting back into the hobby! Reply with quote

Hello all! It's been so long since I've done anything with fish but now that I've moved to a new city and am finacially stable I can start keeping fish again! I am so excited!

Later today I am going to pick up a 29gal fish tank with hood/light I found on CL for only 20 bucks!

I'm so pumped to plan out this tank. I really would love to do a planted tank(which I've never done and know nothing about lol) with black substrate and bright fish.

Any suggustions on what to plant in this tank? Also do I need to cycle the tank before adding plants?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2013.07.14(Sun)12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would do a fishless cycle and then plant as that way the plants won't corrupt your readings.

What lighting do you have?
CSnyder00
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.07.15(Mon)4:16    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

I agree. I would cycle fishless and plantless. Once it is cycled, then you can start adding live things. You could also ask someone you know that has an established tank or your LFS if you can have some brown gunk from their filter media. That would help get your culture started much faster.
redeemedrebel555
New Members

PostPosted: 2014.01.14(Tue)13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!!! I'm also getting back into the hobby so I wish you well on your tank!
Do you have any ideas on what type of plants you wanted? If you've never done a planted tank you might want to start with easy plants like Anubias or Java Fern.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: