Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Giant Gourami? Oscar? stocking help. First post in 8 years.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Lynsey
Members

PostPosted: 2013.10.09(Wed)10:51    Post subject: Giant Gourami? Oscar? stocking help. First post in 8 years. Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I used to post on here a lot about 8 years ago. I used to have an Oscar (his pic is in the gallery Very Happy ) and a blood parrot in a 75 gallon for many years. It took a long time to find buddies that got along. I had to move coast to coast and back again. Now I have my own place and have built a small goldfish pond. Now being a cichlid freak, the goldfish are not cutting it. I like them, but they are not the same as an interactive Oscar etc. I am thinking of adding a couple of heaters and putting some cichlids in there. Thinking about an Oscar, giant gourami, some blood parrots, and a big pleco. Not really sure how to stock it. Are giant gouramis interactive like Oscars? I want something that isn't going to be too mean and attack me everytime I put my hand in there. Also, I don't want jumpers as much as I can avoid it. I also love catfish. Right now I have 5 baby marbled hoplo catfish in there. I love them because they come up and feed right from the top. I realize they might be too small though. I was hoping to get all of these fish as babies to help them get along. I am totally open to any suggestions. Plus I am a pleco freak.

My pond is about 86" long x 21" wide x 31" tall. About 250 gallons. I have an AQUA ULTRAVIOLET ULTIMA II FILTER for up to 1000g. I also have a uv sterilizer and a waterfall. I think the filtration is really good for a pond that size. I do weekly water changes.

Last edited by Lynsey on 2013.10.09(Wed)11:24; edited 1 time in total
Lynsey
Members

PostPosted: 2013.10.09(Wed)11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I am looking at the Red tail giant gouramis as I read they stay smaller. Are they as interactive?
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2013.10.09(Wed)22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you with stocking advise since I never kept such fish. But I just wanted to let you know what you built yourself an AWESOME pond there.
Lynsey
Members

PostPosted: 2013.10.13(Sun)9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I worked hard on it Wink I have since traded in a few of my goldfish....kept 5 of my favorite ones. And put in a Pink/Albino Giant Gourami in there. It is only about 4" and the goldfish range from 3-6". I also put in a 4" Royal pleco (which I haven't seen since I put it in there). Oh well. I am also thinking about adding a texas cichlid as they do well in cooler temps. I am going to keep it heated to 73F. Right now it is still around 78F. Gotta love the San Diego weather. I think I should really only be heating it for around 3 months.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2013.10.13(Sun)21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help either but do you happen to have the plans for that pond? It's gorgeous and I'd like to do something similar. Very Happy
Lynsey
Members

PostPosted: 2013.10.16(Wed)13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, I am a 35 year old critical care nurse that pulled this pond idea out of my butt. There were and are no plans. I just made a thousand trips to Lowe's and overbuilt this thing. I got a premade waterfall thing and just plumbed it and built a wood cover for it. Used a regular pond liner. The cheap plastic buddha is from Lowes too. The string hanging over in the front is a river rock with a plastic veggie clip siliconed to it so I can feed them cucumbers etc. I have chinese coins attached to the other side so the string end doesn't fall in Smile
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2013.10.20(Sun)2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is nowhere near big enough for a giant gourami - they exceed the width of your pond. Most I know need at least 8'x3'x3' & some have outgrown this.

A Texas cichlid. would be a good choice or the slightly mellower Geophagus Brasiliensis -both get hand feeding tame. My old geo would play ping pong.
A singlton of most larger SA cichlids would probably work - pair them up & there would be carnage.
lynseyw
New Members

PostPosted: 2013.10.24(Thu)22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I ended up getting a Red Fin giant gourami as there max size is 20" so hopefully that will do. My LFS is super awesome and they said they will gladly take back the Red fin if is happens to outgrow the pond. They seemed to think the Red Fin will be fine in there. This site says 500L and my pond is about 1000L. All the info says my pond is large enough. Here is my setup at the moment. I know I probably have too many, but I sorta wanted to just get a bunch of babies and see which ones get along. From my experience it is nearly impossible to add later to a tank like this. Much easier to grow out and see what happens and then remove as needed. It also seems like (from my experience) it is never the ones you would think would get along do, its always a random group that seems to get along. I put a bunch of pots in there for hiding spots only to come home to 5 of them all in the same pot together!! Go figure.

4" Red Tail Giant Gourami
2" Green terror
2" Texas
3" Severum
3" Gold Jack Dempsey
2" Blood parrot (wasn't supposed to be there, but he was too aggressive with my other parrot in my indoor aquaponics setup)
4" Royal pleco
(5) Marbled Hoplo catfish (possibly eaten in the future??)
(9) Rosy Barbs (I know they may become food later) Just wanted some dithers to make these little guys feel more comfy

I know I may have to make adjustments depending on aggression, but how overstocked would I be?
CSnyder00
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.12.14(Sat)16:13    Post subject: Overstocked Reply with quote

Fully grown...you are way overstocked. But it seems from your post that you are planning on removing some. I would say half of that or less would be good. There are a lot of LARGE cichlids on that list.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: