Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Are canister filters quieter for the fish?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
AquaDude
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.08.02(Tue)10:47    Post subject: Are canister filters quieter for the fish? Reply with quote

I've for, literally, a decade used my trusty AquaClear but, call me crazy, I wish I could take that incessant drone out of the habitat. I've never had any hands on experience with canister filters (mainly because they don't make them small enough for my 10Gal), but I was wondering if the noise just gets transferred up the tubes, or if it would in fact make for a quieter tank (from the fish's point of view).
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.08.02(Tue)11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canister filters are generally more noisy (rattly), but because they are usually separated from the tank itself, I'd think they are quieter for the fish. Also, because the canister is not in contact with the frame or glass in the tank, there is less vibrations and consequently less noise within the tank. Just make sure the hoses aren't rattling on the tank and noise should be minimal.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.08.04(Thu)16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three canister filters and three HOB filters... the canisters are FAR quieter than the HOBs. I honestly don't ever hear the canisters; but they are down under the tank.

As you know... the HOBs not only hum but the sound of the water cascading into the tank (even when the water level is even with the outflow of the HOB drives me crazy).

Now, I know people pay money for water features that have that sound of 'trickling' water... it's just not what my hubby and I like. If you do like that sound... then ... enjoy! Very Happy

I agree that canisters have to be quieter for the fish.
AquaDude
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.11.18(Mon)14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had asked this question a long time ago. Surprised there wasn't more feedback. Has anyone put their ear to the glass of an aquarium with a canister filter and compared that to a typical HOB or Internal?
CSnyder00
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.12.14(Sat)15:02    Post subject: Putting ear to tank Reply with quote

Putting your ear to the tank simply allows you to hear the vibration from the water entering the tank or from the small electric motors that run the filters. If the canister filter is under the tank on a separate floor, you may have less noise for the fish. But if the canister filter is setting on the floor of the stand and is allowing vibration to travel, I would say they are about the same. I haven't noticed any difference in behavior in either case.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: