Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Strength of glass canopy hoods?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
andreboy1
New Members

PostPosted: 2013.09.27(Fri)16:34    Post subject: Strength of glass canopy hoods? Reply with quote

I just bought a 55 gallon Tetra branded tank from Petco during their $1 dollar a gallon sale and need to pick out a hood. I was going to buy a Perfecto glass hood for the tank because they're cheap and I already have a light strip that will fit but I have questions about the structural strength of these types of glass tops. I've never owned one before or have even seen them outside of their boxes in person. Are these tops strong and durable? My main concern is that my cats are always jumping on the hoods of my tanks and the black plastic hoods are very sturdy and have no problems holding their weight. Would the glass hoods be able to hold a cat sitting on top without trouble or is it too much risk?

Thanks
coryfan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2014.03.22(Sat)1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are actually pretty sturdy unless you have some obese cats. Then they might break the glass. They fit snugly along the edges of the tank with a plastic strip on the back you attach to the glass (you can cut out sections of the strip so filters/heaters will fit perfectly).

Glass tops, from what I have read, are much better for tanks anyways since water doesn't evaporate as much compared to plastic lids. Also, they just overall look nicer with more viewing of the fish.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: