Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A Short, Non-Technical Guide to Cycling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.18(Fri)22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article was really helpful to me. I was one of those "feeder-fish" type of people, but I always ended up giving those fish to a friend who has puffers for some snacky-time. Its good to know that the filter media is the most important part, when I transfer my tanks around I will do just that! Thank you for the article.
Platykeeper
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.05(Sun)0:24    Post subject: Cycling with Fish is disgusting Reply with quote

Dusko wrote:
This site should be baned in my opinion; http://www.aquariumpros.com/articles/fishcyclefw.shtml

Quote:
The following is a list of fish, which, in our experience, have proven hardy enough to survive the initial "break in" period of a freshwater aquarium. The creation of this list was not based on any type of scientific method, but rather on our own experience with the many aquariums we've installed. Each species on this list has consistently proven able to tolerate high levels of ammonia and nitrite, for at least four weeks, in the many freshwater aquariums installed by The Aquarium Professionals Group.

They are supporting exactly what Aqua Hobby.com is fighting against;
Exposing fish/inverts to ammonia/nitrite spikes during the nitrogen cycle.
And they call them selves "Aquarium Professionals" (pathetic)!

What this link is advising is highly unethical and I am disgusted with the fact that such sites still exist on the net.

There are 3 ways to start a new tank;
1. Fish-less cycling = adding flakes (or similar) to the tank, waiting for it to start rotting, testing for NH4, NO2 and NO3 to determine when the nitrogen cycle is completed
2. Silent cycling = planting lots of (min.25%) with fast growing stem plants, which will uptake the NH4 before being converted to NO2
3. Jump-starting = using established filter media/gravel from another (already cycled) tank

But NEVER with living "hardy" fish!!!

Even the hardiest fish will get damaged for life if exposed to high ammonia and nitrite levels during the nitrogen cycle.

Bad bad site that is, shame on them.

Happy Fish-Keeping (opposite of Fish-Having)

Regards, Dusko
Quote:

Even worse is a practce I have often observed in far to many fish vendors: A happy novice fishkeeping family, often with small children in tow, will be sold a new tank, equipment (much of it unnecessary decoration) and a number of new fish of several species. Noone at the store bothers to advise these want-to-be hobbiests about cycling the tank or compatability of species.

Naturally, these poor creatures seldom survive for long and the children especially are dismayed by te deaths of their new pets. Crying or Very sad

The careless or sometimes unscrupulous vendor profits by selling more fish to repopulate the barren tank until finally Nitrates are cyclingproperly.

I have on occasion, offered unsolicited advise to novices buying their first setups and find that they are usually very hungry and grateful for experienced advice.

More than once I have gotten them to wait for cycling before adding fish and have gotten the fish vendor to give them some live gravel to take home the day they buy the tank. I also recommend they search the internet for such forums as this or at least purchase a good basic TF textbook.

In my imagination, I see these now wisened novices and their children growing to love fishkeeping as much as I do; Turning on the light in the morning, their healthy and active little pets coming to the glass in anticipation of feeding and appearing to love us as much as we love them.
tbridges
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.08.17(Wed)13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys...can I use some filter media from my back yard Koi pond filter to help cycle my new (indoor) aquarium? In other words are "outdoor" bacteria the same as "indoor" bacteria?

Thanks!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.08.17(Wed)13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Media or gunge from a Koi pond filter will work in any freshwater tank.
CSnyder00
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.07.07(Sun)6:45    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

I agree. Old filter media from another freshwater tank or source is good. I take my old filters and rub the brown stuff on the new filter before I toss them in. That helps keep the good bacteria working instead of a chemistry fluctuation.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: