Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Blue Ram Genetics
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.02.05(Tue)21:28    Post subject: Blue Ram Genetics Reply with quote

Hey guys, hopefully some of you are still on here!

Wondering if anyone knows much about the genetics of the various types of Mikrogeophagus ramirez - particularly interested in the balloon variety. Much easier to find info on genetics of things like discus than these guys (assuming balloon isn't as simple as being recessive?). E.g. breeding standards with balloons - result?
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.02.08(Fri)9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so, so far, I haven't been able to find much about M. Ramirezii genetics that wasn't dealing with very very specific genotypes such as potential genetic triggers for hole-in-the-head and so on.

While I realize it's not a mortal lock, I do know that the so-called fresh-water parrot fish, and the balloon molly, both have semi-dominant features related to their mutations.

In reference to your specific question, I'm relatively certain that you would obtain small populations of balloon and standard fry, and a large selection of hybrid "middling" fry that were neither full balloon nor totally standard.

Having said that, that's really little more than an educated guess. I'd be fascinated to hear of any results you happen to have.
CSnyder00
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.07.07(Sun)6:24    Post subject: Ballon, well, anything... Reply with quote

Anytime you are playing with the shape and/or functionality of a fish, I believe it is wrong. Rams are not meant to be "balloned". If you were to find one in nature, chances are they would be eaten or dead. It is a misformation of the species that can be passed on genetically. It's bad genetics.

Breeding certain traits into fish is always a hairy topic and I'm probably opening a can of worms here. But the basis is this. Breeding colors into a species by selecting those with the more desirable color to use as breeders, okay. Using malformed fish to breed with normal fish to get more malformed fish, not okay. You're clouding the genetic pool with bad genes. They can sell the normal GBR's then as normal, not labeling them as carriers and then you and I pay the price when you breed two "normal" fish and get "ballons".
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: