Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
egg control
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
donnie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.05.24(Fri)18:12    Post subject: egg control Reply with quote

I have a 125g with a greenterror,male convict,convictparrothybrid,and a red paarot my heater messed up and a terror died and the pleco I had for 5yrs did too.But my question is my male convict and parrot keep breeding and I want no babys what can I do or what can I add to keep them controled?
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.05.24(Fri)21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short of disrupting the nests and gravel-vacing the eggs out, there's not a lot you can do - no egg-eating fish or invert I can think of would be tough enough to chase the guarding cichlid off of the nest.

It should be noted that, unless there are feral populations out in the world, the so-called "parrotfish" or parrot cichlids do not actually exist in nature. Parrot fish are derived from a hybrid pairing of Amphilophus citrinellus and Veja synsipilum - Midas and Tie-Dye Cichlids, respectively. As hybrids, they suffer from a number of anatomical abnormalities, and are some of the more frequent victims of artificial colouring as well. The ethics of breeding and maintaining even pure strains of the Parrot hybrids are questionable at best. I would strongly advise destroying the eggs of any future spawnings.

If practical, can one or the other of them be segregated into another tank to prevent their mating entirely?
CSnyder00
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.07.07(Sun)6:39    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

I agree. You are going to have to simply take the eggs out when they lay them if you don't want fry. Cichlids are notoriously good parents.
donnie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.08.27(Tue)0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what I have been doing, I actually want to down size my tank until I get a bigger place I have them in a 125g long. I own a 55g and a 90g would ether of these sizes be OK for the 1GT,1convict,1bloodparrot,1conivctmix
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: