Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New house, new tank
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2013.05.17(Fri)11:30    Post subject: New house, new tank Reply with quote

Just scored on a 60 gallon tank with a Marineland 350, heater and two hoods with Marineland daylight bulbs. Stupid excited, since I haven't had any tanks for a couple of years.

I'm looking to have angels as my centerpiece fish and am thinking about keeping the amazon theme with both flora and fauna. Rummynose tetras are also on the table for color and activity maybe cockatoos or rams as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on bottom feeders and substrate? Cories and ottos are my only ideas from the amazon.

Also if anyone has any good ideas on where to get a decent sized piece of driftwood for reasonable price it would be much appreciated. I know Malaysian driftwood isn't in keeping with the South American theme, but I've found it's the best quality out there.
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.05.18(Sat)16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

60 gallons is nothing to sneeze at. Personally, I like the idea of angels and rummies. I might skip the dwarf cichlids as I'd be concerned about their disposition toward the angels.

There are a few species that'll pick over the bottom and the glass but for the most part you're going to be cleaning by hand, unless you go with the ottos or corries, since they'd all likely get too big to continue showing any meaningful impact on aufwuchs growth - these'd be the various Amazonian Loricariids. Snails work - some of the apple species are from the area. There's not as much information on inverts as I would like.

As to prices, I can't be much help there.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: