Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fish tank heater
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Aqua Barker
Members

PostPosted: 2012.07.18(Wed)15:36    Post subject: Fish tank heater Reply with quote

Being the new guy here with my most recent topics I have been advised to get a heater, I was wondering as to which ones are best? I would like to have one with a built in timer but I am completely new to the fish keeping world and what not so I don't know much about heaters in general. I was sure that everyone here would have a MUCH MUCH MUCH better idea on the correct one!

It is a 20 gallon tank (the old ones, like from the 90s) I don't think it's high but I do know for a fact that its not long. It will be a tropical community tank with things along the lines of Zebras, maybe a male betta, eventually a pleco of some sort and some black neon tetras. I have a few live plants if that makes a difference as well.

I will quit referring to myself as the "new guy" soon I promise Lol

If possible I would like to keep the cost of this heater to about $20.00 or under!
coryfan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.03.29(Fri)23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aqueon Pro heaters are very nice although a bit costly. They don't have a timer but are very accurate and aren't an eye-sore in the tank.
You could always get a cheap light timer and plug the heater into that.

A more economical one are the Hydor Theo heaters, which might not be as good quality but from reviews I have read they do the job. For your sized tank you would probably want a 100 watt size.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2013.03.30(Sat)5:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heaters don't have timers but do have thermostats so the temperature reaches a set point, heater turns off until the water fall below a set point and heater comes on again. You just leave them on all the time.
I can't help with specific models as you use a different voltage but get one that is fully submersible and 100 watts. Tetra probably make one within your budget.
nicolaas
New Members

PostPosted: 2013.04.05(Fri)1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most plecos get hugh(over 35cm) but there are smaller ones like the Ancistrus spp. and Farlowella acus. Please do not get a common pleco they get very big and only eat algae when they are small.

Is there anything in the tank at this time?

What is your pH and water hardness?

A 100watt heater would be fine I buy Jebo for between R100and R120 witch is not to bad.

What filter do you have?

What light do you have?
For most plants 6000-10000K is best(I use 10000K)

Do you know any of the plant names you have?

Sorry for all the questions but it will help us help you Smile
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: