Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
55g blank slate
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ctp010
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.12.12(Wed)12:07    Post subject: 55g blank slate Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I am going to be relocating my 55g from my garage back to a finished gameroom. It is still set up for cichlids, my last one died about a month ago or so - 7 year old large Lion Cove. I still have a bristlenose pleco and a bronze cory cat in the tank, both pushing 8 years as well. I think I want to keep it a cichlid tank, but I am back to a blank slate. I prefer a good mix of color and would like the tank to be active, more smaller fish (under 6").
I had Lion Cove, Electric Blue, Cobalt Blue, several peacocks an acei and one non identified orange cichlid along with pleco and cory.... had a livingstoni too, but returned it to LFS once I discovered what it was and how large it got.
I'm looking for some different options, but regardless of what you may suggest I haven't found too many pet stores in the area with a good selection. My eye isn't good enough to try to pick juvies from mixed tanks, which could just be hybrids for all I know and hope I got what I think I wanted. I've never mail ordered fish either so I'm leary.
Any and all advice is welcome
Thanks
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.02.21(Thu)16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some great "cookie cutter" setups on cichlid-forum.com. That's a good place to start.

Cynotilapia sp. "white top hara" (ice blue male, purplish females) and Ps. saulosi (blue/black barred males, yellow females) make a good mix for a 55g. Smaller, with lots of colors.

My current mix in a 75g is Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae. You could do the saulosi, rusties, and joanjohnsonae in a 55g.

My favorite site to order cichlids from is here: http://www.livefishdirect.com/ Fantastic fish, live arrival guarantee, reasonable shipping. I've ordered from several places and this is by far my favorite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: