Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What to do with a 1.5g tank
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ctp010
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.12.12(Wed)12:20    Post subject: What to do with a 1.5g tank Reply with quote

We have a 1.5 g tank in my sons room (he's 8 yr old). No heater (don't think they make them that small, the room ranges from 66-75F through the year. He's not a fan of white clouds or serpeas, he had a colored glo-zebra tetra in there for about 2 years, every time a 2nd was introduced it was either killed off or died shortly there after. The tank have been empty but running for about 2 months now and he is asking if we can get more fish. I really don't know what to get him - any thoughts?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.12.13(Thu)14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but the tank is too small to be a viable home for fish as you've discovers.

Please don't try to add any fish in fact I would only keep shrimp in such a small tank.
ctp010
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.12.13(Thu)21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

That stinks that they even sell those, when we were given a goldfish years ago and had zero fish keeping knowledge we got that as a temporary housing. I may just scrap it and get him a 5g or 10g.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.12.14(Fri)2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for a 10 or larger. Much more versatile and not much more expensive.
( & safer if kids are playing in the room as they are more stable)
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2012.12.28(Fri)9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually with a 1.5g with no heater or filter a betta can live quite happily there as long as you make sure that water maintenance is done at least once a week and feeding is done sparingly. By sparingly a couple of flakes, no more once a day. I had a betta on my office desk in a small tank like that for almost 3 years. Small tanks require a lot more diligence than bigger tanks only because the ammonia can build up that much quicker and crash the biological colonies, which can kill the fish. Nano tanks can be a lot of work, but very rewarding. Smile Good luck.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.12.28(Fri)10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntress wrote:
Actually with a 1.5g with no heater or filter a betta can live quite happily there as long as you make sure that water maintenance is done at least once a week and feeding is done sparingly. By sparingly a couple of flakes, no more once a day. I had a betta on my office desk in a small tank like that for almost 3 years. Small tanks require a lot more diligence than bigger tanks only because the ammonia can build up that much quicker and crash the biological colonies, which can kill the fish. Nano tanks can be a lot of work, but very rewarding. Smile Good luck.

If this was in my office where the overnight temperature drops to 60F the Betta would be dead in days. Small tanks should never be recommended for beginners nor children and there is no good reason for an adult to subject a fish to living in one.
Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done.
jpalimpsest
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.12.28(Fri)10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the size and dimensions of PetCo's 6.6 gal. bookshelf aquarium. I don't actually own the tank, but I've seen some really nice set-ups with it and it's on my to-do list. It comes with light, filter, etc. You may want to look into it as an option. FYI: If you decide to go with that tank, Amazon's price is cheaper than the store price.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2013.05.17(Fri)8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
If this was in my office where the overnight temperature drops to 60F the Betta would be dead in days. Small tanks should never be recommended for beginners nor children and there is no good reason for an adult to subject a fish to living in one.
Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

Actually you don't give bettas proper credit for their hardiness. Do you honestly think that in the wild temperatures don't fluctuate? I think I would know exactly what to recommend and not recommend for children and beginners. Small tanks can make VERY good homes for some fish. Considering you were going to subject shrimp to a small tank, but not fish your words make absolutely no sense. Are they not valued as much to you? Nano tanks DO take a lot of work and if someone is willing to do the extra water changes and feed properly AND educate their children (like I have done with mine) then they can be very good homes to a limited number of flora and fauna. My daughter's first tank was a 3 gallon which housed a betta and a trio of dwarf cories and I assure you that they were very happy and healthy. I had the advice of Marco and many others from this site to get things right.

Don't ever say never unless you speak from experience diademhill. We have many experienced aquarists with nano tanks on this site who are always willing to give advice and help anyone succeed with their aquariums. Instead of being a constant naysayer, maybe you should see what can be done instead of what can't. or even say, well I don't have any experience with smaller tanks, but I can see if so and so can help you. Constantly telling people they can't do something will just dissuade them from the hobby.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2013.05.17(Fri)9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much experience do you want?
I have selectively bred Bettas & Discus and others. I have been on field trips and done habitat temperature monitoring.

These tiny tanks can be kept going by someone with experience and dedication. They are not viable for a novice for a child's pet. My current pet betta is in a 180 litre tank as I'm downsizing to move and took down his 60 litre tank.

The temperature fluctuation of a body of water in the wild is much slower than in a small volume indoors. The max temperature differential is not the same as median difference.

I used to grow out show prospect male Bettas in tanks of about 4 litres but they were temperature controlled and on a filtration loop. The space wasn't huge (but much bigger than a lot of tanks being sold) but the water parameters were good.
These were temporary homes and only for a few months at most with the fish then going to larger community tanks or display tanks - typically about 40 litres.

Putting a Betta in a tiny tank is like putting a goldfish in a 10g. They may survive but won't thrive and I do wish the world would take a leaf from Germany and outlaw the sale of any tank smaller than 30 litres for fish.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: