Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ich or not?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Malkingray
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.11.14(Wed)17:51    Post subject: Ich or not? Reply with quote

I have a 20 gallon long tank with 5 white clouds and 1 platy in it. The tank had been set up at a friends house for over a year and at my house for 4 months. Nothing new has been added to the tank. Blue gravel and plastic plants, 40 gallon filter, mature bio filter and the only chemical added is for the tap water. I have plans to take the white clouds out and to put into another tank, and get more platies for this tank but that seems to be on hold for now.
I change 5 gallons of water twice a week. Temp is 72 degrees. There have been no changes in any of the water readings - I test once a week and everything has remained stable (I left the readings at my house- I don't have a computer at home, or a TV or any other fun techno stuff for that matter).
Over the past week I have notcied that 4 of the white clouds have a white bump on their lower lip. 3 of them have the bump dead center (all females), the other one has it off to the side slightly (male). The 5th white cloud appears fine (male). There are NO lesions anywhere else on their bodies and the platy has no lesions at all. They are eating wonderfully, the 2 boys are constantly chasing the girls and flashing/dancing to each other. THere are no behavior changes.
I find it too odd that they all have this single lesion in the same place. When I have seen ich at the one store, it appears all over the fish. This seems too precise and before I go and start adding medication to the tank and ruin my biofilter/stress the fish, I'd like to now if anyone else has ever seen anything like this before. I thought of taking pictures but I have no idea how to get them on the computer to share.
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.11.16(Fri)14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouth fungus. Don't start with medication. Use Aquarium salt as directed and slowly (over 48 hours) increase the temperature by 4F. This usually solves it, and afterward you can slowly go back down to 72 if you like.

Of course, photos would help, but this sounds more like mouth fungus than ich, especially with it always being the lower lip.

Aquarium Salt, not Marine Salt, is one of those "secret musts" that I believe every tank needs. Not enough to make it brackish, of course, but enough to keep the health of the fish up and the health of parasites and fungus down. I've used it plus heat to treat everything from Anchor Worms to Ich to Body Fungus, and it's a very successful method.
Malkingray
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.11.16(Fri)16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I will definately start to increase the temp and I have aaquarium salt in the cupboard. I haven't had to use it before but have always had it on hand "just in case".
THanks again!
Amy
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.11.16(Fri)17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, no worries. Hope it helps; let us know of any developments. Smile
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: