Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Hatchling Retrieval?
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Siege
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.10.25(Thu)12:31    Post subject: Hatchling Retrieval? Reply with quote

So, I have a pair of ancistrus plecos that have been breeding fairly regularly in my tank (planted, 45 gallon, breeding occurring about once every six weeks). However, they lacked a decent place to breed before, so I set up a cave made up of stacked pieces of slate rock. The cave itself is stable enough, and the father has a few of them trapped in a corner of the cave. So, no problem there.

My concern, however, is that there are about 6 rainbowfish in the tank, purchased before I knew the plecos were going to start breeding, who were known to eat the fry before I built the cave if I didn't happen to catch the hatching and put them in a breeding chamber. While the father may be able to keep the hatchlings isolated for a time, I fear that when they become free-swimming the result may be the same. As a result, I am pondering transfer.

I have a 10-gallon tank set up with a decent piece of driftwood and cycled they could be transferred to; however, assuming they're not too young anyway (they just hatched yesterday), I"m debating how best to capture them for transport. At least one person has advised me to move the cave itself; however, I had not considered this option before assembling the cave, and due to the structure, that is... not precisely viable. Another suggestion was to siphon them out, if that wouldn't hurt them. At any rate, any advice on this matter would be appreciated.
FishFanatic245
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.10.27(Sat)21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably siphon them out, but after a few more days or maybe a week depending on the rate of growth. siphoning probably will not hurt them, plecs are tough.
Siege
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.11.01(Thu)21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the siphon idea failed; all that netted was a bunch of trumpet snails, and an accidentally knocked over cave. Even so, I suppose in the end the old 'watch the tank like a hawk with a large net' plan has it merits; managed to get 7 out, including one albino.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: