Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My 75G Planted Angel Tank - Tons of pics
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
dgaddis1
Members

PostPosted: 2012.10.18(Thu)5:51    Post subject: My 75G Planted Angel Tank - Tons of pics Reply with quote

Hey folks, been a looooooong time since I've posted here, but I've been browsing and lurking a good bit. Thought I'd share my tank.

I've wanted a 75G for a long time, several years. But being in college and moving in and out of different dorms and apartments put that on hold, then I got out of school, moved a few more times, got married, bought a house and finally - it was time.

Before I got the big tank I had a 20G, the heater had went on the fritz and killed most of the fish, and it sat for about a year with just a striped raphael cat. As time to get the big tank neared I went ahead and bought a few angels and SAEs. The catfish started eating the SAE's, which was amazing since they were only a touch shorter than he was! So the catfish went back to the store.

Anyhow...I built my own stand, so here's pics of it all got set up. The tank is in our living room, and I wanted some New World cichlids, but the wife wanted a pretty planted tank, so we compromised and set up a planted angel tank. It's low light, low tech, simple maintenance. I'm really happy with how it's turned out. Here's lots of pics.

Pieces of the stand.

All together.

Painted, faux antique finish applied, and in the house, temporarily holding up the 20G.

The 20G setup.

Ed the catfish, with a huge belly after eating one of the SAEs.

The silver veil tail angel, picture taken in December 2011. Remember this guy, you'll see more of him in a bit.

The 75G with the wood in, waiting on most of the plants.

After all the plants showed up. Note the little school on angels to the left of the 'root', and note how small they are.

Fast forward 8 months, and here's a partial tank shot. The Jungle Vals. didn't do well in the tank and is mostly gone. But the big angel you see there? That's the same little guy in the picture earlier!

There are 5 agnels in the tank. A zebra.

Goldie.

Koi, named him Peter Pan because he doesn't want to grow up. He's way slower growing than all the others. Perfectly healthy it seems though.

Black veil tail, named him Chuck Norris Laughing

And a close up of the silver veil, he/she's my favorite of the bunch.

Two SAEs. There were 5 before Ed started eating them all.

Columbian tetras, 8 of them.

Close up of one of the columbians.

The newest addition, on a trial basis, a blue acara. Beautiful fish, but may be too aggressive. On the first night in the tank he did a little damage to the finage on some of the angels, but since then everyone seems to be getting along. But we're kind of taking a risk on him, hopefully it'll work out though.

Checking out the cave I built him.

We also have this little (supposedly a) bristlenose pleco

And three albino corys
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.10.18(Thu)6:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahah! I was positive those were SAEs last night and someone insisted they weren't. I feel vindicated now.

Very attractive tank... and that Black Veil Angel is particularly nice-looking. In a 75 you probably could have gotten away with a common plec, but I always found the bristlenoses more attractive anyway.

Nice tank!

Edit: And nice stand! Always wanted to make my own, but my woodworking projects always go a little wonky.
dgaddis1
Members

PostPosted: 2012.10.18(Thu)6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZacAdam wrote:
Ahah! I was positive those were SAEs last night and someone insisted they weren't. I feel vindicated now.

Very attractive tank... and that Black Veil Angel is particularly nice-looking. In a 75 you probably could have gotten away with a common plec, but I always found the bristlenoses more attractive anyway.

Nice tank!

There are some very similar looking fish that are not SAE's, you have to make sure you know the difference when buying.

The got the bristlenose, instead of a common, pleco because he's a worker fish - I wanted an algae eater. The common's don't do a good job of that once they get some size on them.

The SAE's are fantastic worker fishes. We were away for a long weekend and I was a little behind on the water change schedule, and the timer for the lights quit. When we got back we had this weird hair type algae all over the inside of the tank. I think with the lights off the plants stopped their normal uptake of nutrients and this algae, or whatever, took over. With a water change, the lights back on schedule, and the SAE's doing their thing this stuff was gone in 24hrs!

It was all over the tank.
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.10.18(Thu)6:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I'm still pretty sure what I was looking at were SAEs. Tank was labelled as such. Having said that, if I ever go ahead and open up shop on my own, I am selling everything by species name as often as possible.

SAEs are awesome, but keep a half an eye on them. I've heard the odd reports of a predatory nature.

Your angels are in damn fine shape... What's in your water?
-Z
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: