Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New 100 Gal stocking ideas
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
itgal
Members

PostPosted: 2012.10.08(Mon)8:15    Post subject: New 100 Gal stocking ideas Reply with quote

Hello all,

I recently purchased a used an established 100 gal (72x18x18). I am rehoming the fish. So I'm looking for stocking suggestions. My aim is to have a few medium sized fish that stand out and a bunch of smaller busy fish. I was thinking of an angel, a ram, and an apisto (maybe in quantities or maybe just 1 each?) with maybe some tetras, but not sure on tetra type yet although I like the look of the red phantoms and lemons. Would corys work as well?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks Smile
DrexelTanker0712
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.10.08(Mon)12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're torn between mid-sized slightly agressive fish and a peaceful community tank..

I became a fan of angels, but if you are getting them, get them young and put them in your tank last, they have a chance to develop the habbit of eating much smaller fish (like tetras) once they gt bigger. but often if you raise them around the smaller fish, from a young age, they won't see them as food. But there is always that chance, people forget angel fish are technically cichlids.

Apistos are cichlids too, good looking fish and would probably do well with a few angels. I've never had them, but I would only get one. I've also never had a ram either, but they are good looking fish like the apistos and would look good with the angels too. Apparently they're not aggressive and will do fine in a community, but I'm always wary of anyone in the cichlid family.

I'm a fan of cories and have accidentally bred them before. They all seem to have pretty much the same nature/habits despite the species (I've had 3 diff species), just make sure to put 3+ in your tank, as they will school/play together and not get so lonely. don't forget about loaches too!

I have my own prefrence of species to care for, but if you're interested in tetras, why not have schools of more than one species?

All in all, I would make a decision between having a tank with the 3 cichlids that you listed (1-3 of each max), or a community tank with the angel fish.

I started out with bigger and more aggressive fish, but found more pleasure in the small to mid-sized community fish, especially the schooling ones (tiger barbs, tetras, cories/loaches) and their feeding isnt as demanding as the bigger and more agressive fish.
itgal
Members

PostPosted: 2012.10.08(Mon)13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you saying the angels won't work with corys and tetras? Or are you saying that dwarf cichlids don't work with angels?
DrexelTanker0712
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.10.08(Mon)14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm saying the angels with work with both, just be careful if you're gonna do a non-agressive community tank, add them last and get them young, so they grow up in the community, and won't see the other fish as a source of food
itgal
Members

PostPosted: 2012.10.08(Mon)14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh OK great! Yes I was planning to put in the tetras and corys first and then the dwarf cichlids and lastly angels as you said. I figured this since they would be the largest fish in this tank. Thanks! Its good to know there is a good chance it will work out.
DrexelTanker0712
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.10.08(Mon)15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

yuup, just make sure the cichlids have some places to call home
itgal
Members

PostPosted: 2012.10.09(Tue)13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to start out with a group of corydoras. I saw a video on youtube that was posted here somewhere showing a huge school (or schoal?) of corys moving across a stream bed in unison. It was awesome! I'd like to see similar behavior in my tank. I'm not sure how many I can afford to buy at once, but I could buy a few and increase the numbers over time. is there an ideal number for the setup I'm looking for? Is there a "too many" because of the ram(s)? If I buy more rams (say 3 instead of 1), would I need to decrease the amount of corys because of the shared floor space?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.10.09(Tue)13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a corydoras species that prefers the same temperatures as Rams so not C paletus. Eight or ten are a nice number. S sterbai or one of the other spotted species are nice & not too large.
Rams live in pairs.
Stick to deeper bodies tetras like rosys or maybe the slightly larger bleeding hearts and I would recommend black neons as a contrast as these swim in the lower half of the tank but well above the substrate.
Angels may be fine in a group r may squabble. It is essential to have decor or planting that breaks up the sight lines across the tank. 100g is not that big really when territorial fish are involved.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: