Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Harlequin Rasbora with cysts, lethargy, rolling, etc
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
sjb10
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.09.29(Sat)9:40    Post subject: Harlequin Rasbora with cysts, lethargy, rolling, etc Reply with quote

First things first:
1. Size of tank - 150l (Approx 80x45x45 cm)

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia - 0
b. Nitrite - 0
c. Nitrate - 10
d. pH, KH and GH - 7.4 pH, ~8 KH, ~12 GH
e. Test kit - Testing Strips and liquid ammonia test kit

3. Temperature - 25.5 C

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish) - Fresh Water (Tropical)

5. How long the aquarium has been set up - ~ 1 month (Fishless cycled before this point)

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
In order they were put in:
- 1 x Bristlenose Plec
- 10 x Harlequin Rasbora (2 might be copper/glowlight rasboras)
- 1 x Clown Plec
- 5 x Diamond Tetra (present for ~3 Weeks)
- 10 x Cardinal Tetra (Present for 1.5 Weeks)
- All bought relatively young, so still small. Bristlenose/Clown Plecs currently only 4cm or so, can't be certain on ages for any of the other fish, one Diamond is very small though.

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)
- After noticing symptoms but failure to diagnose, the single infected rasbora (as far as I can see) was quarantined. However as I do not have a separate quarantine tank, it is instead in it's own floating bag in the aquarium.

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? - Real plants only, present since cycling.
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? - Mid sized gravel.
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? - Bogwood/driftwood (1 large, 2 small) plus 1 fake rock feature, all present since cycling

9. a. Filtration? - Aqua One Aquis 750
b. Heater? - Unknown, came with tank and specced correctly though.

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? - Standard tank lights, on for ~10-12 hours daily.
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? - Minimal, if any.

11. a. Water change schedule? - 7-9 days (last change ~4 days ago)
b. Volume of water changed? - ~12-15%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? - Tap water
d. Water conditioner used? - Aqua Care Water Conditioner plus Aqua Care Biological Supplement (similar to Stress-Zyme)
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? - As much as possible during water change, approximately 20% each time.

12. Foods? - Flake foods
How often are they fed? - 1-2 times daily

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
- 2 cysts or strange growths, rapid respiration, lethargy, rolling/flipping over, then righting self. Before quarantine, a couple of other rasboras appeared to nudge it while it was upside down.
b. Appearance of poop? - Unknown
c. Appearance of gills? - Normal I think.

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? - No, can't figure out what the problem is.
b. What meds were used? - None yet.

Only noticed this afternoon, all appeared fine before then - at least for the rasboras. I've been keeping an eye on the Diamond Tetras and Cardinals over the last 24-48 hours as a couple of them appeared to develop a single white spot on their tail fin. White spot has disappeared today from all but one Diamond Tetra, but a single Rasbora suddenly developed the condition described above.

I have no idea what the issue is, or how to treat it, but my biggest concern is making sure the rest of the fish are safe. I'd really appreciate any swift help and advice, thanks everyone.

Also - unrelated but curious anyway - one of the Diamond Tetras came with a missing eye, and has a significantly darker/bluer skin tone compared to the other Diamonds. He's been swimming around and feeding fine though with no signs of a problem, but is this normal?

*** Photo Album Link: ***
http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/stjabr/

Last edited by sjb10 on 2012.09.29(Sat)14:21; edited 1 time in total
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.09.29(Sat)10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white spots on various fish is ick - see the articles<-.

Any chance of a photo of the harlequin?

How was the tank cycled and what ammonia concentration did you use?
sjb10
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.09.29(Sat)11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ammonia concentration used was 5-6 ppm, sustained until nitrites appeared. From then on Ammonia was added in small amounts only to sustain new bacterial colony, until nitrites spiked. Both ammonia and nitrites were then allowed to fall to zero before a large water change and fish being added a day later. Haven't seen even a hint of Ammonia or nitrites present in the tank since, and nitrates have been kept under 30 at worst.

I can get pictures yes, is there a way to upload them to here directly or do they need to be uploaded somewhere else and then linked? I can't see how to do it, bit of a newby on here, sorry!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.09.29(Sat)12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very surprised if there were no spikes adding that many fish in close succession and this could have ade the fish more susceptible to illness.

You load pictures onto photobucket or similar and then put the img link in your message here.
sjb10
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.09.29(Sat)14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo link added to bottom of original post. Not easy to get a clear photo, but hopefully you can make out the two growths just behind the gills and on the belly of the rasbora.

I've been keeping a fairly close eye on things anyway as it's a new tank, and I definitely haven't noticed any spikes, but it's a fair point - I may have missed something, and perhaps I should have left longer between new additions - I've received very mixed advice on that subject.

My suspicions are that something may have entered through the water that the cardinals came in, can't be sure though. Water parameters have stayed stable throughout, but possibly there's a water quality issue that I'm not seeing?

Definitely noticing some small white spots on some of the cardinals' fins now, so it looks like there's definitely a case of ich starting to develop, although I'm pretty certain that's not the rasbora's problem.

The plan now is to get some ich treatment from the LFS in the morning and start administering that, but not before doing a reasonable sized water change and thorough cleaning of the substrate. I will also check the filter and clean as necessary (with aquarium water obviously). Does this sound like the right course of action?

As for the rasbora, I'll keep it separated overnight and take it to the LFS with me for diagnosis - whether it survives or not.

Hopefully not an issue, but I've noticed more snails appearing recently. They got in through the plants, but there was only one or two to begin with. Could they be causing any problems with the aquarium?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.09.29(Sat)16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK
from what I can see in the pictures ask the lfs to euthanise the harlequin as it looks like lesions from, possibly, Aeromonas, Pseudomonas and Vibrio which are difficult to treat.

Snails are not a problem except aestheicaly.
sjb10
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.09.29(Sat)18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
OK
from what I can see in the pictures ask the lfs to euthanise the harlequin as it looks like lesions from, possibly, Aeromonas, Pseudomonas and Vibrio which are difficult to treat.

Snails are not a problem except aestheicaly.

Ah, that's a shame. Is there a chance of the same thing happening/spreading to the other fish in the tank do you know? What might be the cause? Could be a major problem if it's contagious.

Thanks very much for the info, impressed you can make it out from the pics!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: