Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Small Tank
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
snakemao62
Members

PostPosted: 2012.08.13(Mon)16:45    Post subject: Small Tank Reply with quote

I have a 6 gallon.It has been up and running a while but fishless for about 6 months.Dwarf Anubias growing up front OK.Looking for ideas.I would like to stay away from Bettas with this setup,top flow filter.Last one did not like it.I am looking for cleaning type fish since being small algae breakouts do happen.I don't want an all shrimp tank either.I was thinking a small cat and maybe some Amano Shrimp.I have had them before and they were great and lasted a long time.

Thoughts

Thanks
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.08.14(Tue)9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparkling gourami or maybe a single Centromochlus perugiae. Most catfish don't thrive as singles but these are OK.
snakemao62
Members

PostPosted: 2012.08.14(Tue)23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

So one Sparkling Gourami would be OK.Could those two get along or is that too small for both with a Amano Shrimp(s). I had a Pygmy Cory one time who did well.Unfortunately during an apartment move,he went missing and I found him latter in my gravel cleaning tube.

Like I said just getting ideas.

Thanks
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.08.15(Wed)0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have a pair or trio of sparkling gouramis. You could also try a female Betta or a male that has not been kept in a cup.
I have an Eclipse 6 on the kitchen bench and it houses a male Betta I rescued with chewed off fins from a tank of Angles and he is fine with the overhead filter and a small internal.

Betta that have sat in cups are unfit. A fish used to swimming will easily cope with current.

Corys are not suitable as these need to be in groups.
snakemao62
Members

PostPosted: 2012.08.15(Wed)21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the local Petsmart and got 3 Amano Shrimp today.They were cheap plus I had to get filters.They did not have any Sparkling Gouramis.I will have to check a couple local Pets Shops later this month.Its just too bad our best place here in Sacramento California USA,Capitol Aquarium,had to close about a year ago.I could have gotten a Betta from a tank and not a cup there.

The shrimp seem OK and are doing their job as we speak.
snakemao62
Members

PostPosted: 2012.08.20(Mon)23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about a snail.I want something that will be small,won't eat plants and will not reproduce like wildfire.Just one and only one.I have had the hitch hiker kind in the past but I had no problem removing them.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: