Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What kind of fish to buy?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nichollss
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.07.25(Wed)5:02    Post subject: What kind of fish to buy? Reply with quote

I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank. How many fish can I have in the tank? What temperature should I keep the water? Do I need a CO2 addition for this size tank? I am in the process of adding plants. Any suggestions? I have a Reaction canister filter. I would appreciate any suggestions. Last, where is a good place to purchase fish? I do not have a local fish store other than Petco and Petsmart. Online purchasing? Thank you.
KhiaraFish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.07.29(Sun)18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of fish you decide to have in the tank depends on what species of fish you decide to choose, how often and how much water you are willing to change, along with factors such as plants and filtration. Temperature also depends on what sort of fish, plants, and/or invertebrates you are keeping.

A good base point to start figuring out what sort of fish you want to keep is to look at the chemistry of your tap water, and to consider what you are hoping for from the fish and the tank. Do you want the tank to be active, relaxing, do you want fish that will show their natural behaviors, or that will interact with you?

Unless you are choosing to work with high lighting and lots of fertilizer, you will not need CO2, I have a good variety of plants and mid to high range lighting and I have never fertilized my tank.

Petco and Petsmarts vary from place to place, I have some around me that I really trust and some that I do not. I myself have never purchased fish online, but I know many people do. What I would do in your position is look for a local aquarium society, I have gotten so much beautiful livestock from other hobbyists.

Lastly, take a look around the site, go check out the gallery, the range of fish represented there is fabulous. I also think you should check out the articles, and read up on the nitrogen cycle, if you haven't already.

All best, and welcome to the forum,

Khiara

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: