Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Getting Back Into It - 40g Breeder Setup
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.07.25(Wed)14:00    Post subject: Getting Back Into It - 40g Breeder Setup Reply with quote

Hello all!

Been a while since I
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.07.25(Wed)14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snapping turtles are messy but the filter bacteria are the same as those that process fish waste.
No need to bleach the tank but a good clean with water & a scourer sponge then a rinse should suffice.
The rocks & wood could be power washed or hosed down & then soaked. You could boil them but no real need.
( I have cycled tanks using beardie poop as an ammonia source.)
Java fern ( There are different cultivars) & Anubias would be the best lower light plant options. If your turtle likes duckweed try Salvina too.

Fish - choose four juvenile females and the chances are you'll get at least one male.
I would start the tank with a shoal of tetras as they are hardier than the dwarf cichlids and then act as dithers. Black neons would be good.
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.07.26(Thu)9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you say about the bacteria makes a lot of sense. My rationale is that I generally try to use decor I know to be sterile, and even though I keep my tanks clean it's never a guarantee to reuse things - plus the heavy bioload of the snapper made me extra queasy about it. Although on the other hand one can argue that "new" decor can just as easily be contaminated as used decor, so I guess I'll just go ahead and use the wood I've got. Thanks for reassuring me!

I'm probably going to do a fishless cycle for the first few weeks and try to establish some plants before adding anything, but I'll definitely consider tetras when it comes to that point. Still not sure what I want as a dither fish...

I've been perusing lighting options - I have a 30" Coralife T5 two-bulb strip light sitting in the garage from a few years back, if memory serves it's 36W. If I switched out the bulbs for proper spectrum would that be enough to scrape by with the aforementioned plants? I feel like it'd be cutting it close, especially if there's duckweed blocking the surface. Do you think it's worth investing in additional lighting, and if so how much extra do I need?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: