Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Nannostomus mortenthaleri eggs
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.10(Sat)22:51    Post subject: Nannostomus mortenthaleri eggs Reply with quote

Bought a few of these at the start of the year to try my luck with, or rather, I was challenged by a friend to attempt breeding these. Ended up with 3 males and a female. Nice fish, very territorial though. Soon had a dominant male after quite a bit of sparring.

Soon started to see courtship between male and female. Involves the male performing a very cute see-saw motion and nudging the female mid-body.

I think spawning has been going on for a while, but only just started to see these yesterday:

Thats about as far as I've gotten, but I think the biggest problem is going to be collecting more than a few eggs. They hide them all over the tank and it's practically impossible to find them. Took me half an hour to find 3. Going to have to take a more controlled approach to spawning that doesn't involve me hunting in a fairly heavily planted tank.
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.06.26(Tue)8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know this is an "old" post but it's new to me. What beautiful fish! Pencilfish are lively and interesting to keep. Wish I could find some like yours around here.

So, how did this project turn out?
Very Happy

Deborah
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.07.01(Sun)17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up going on holiday, so never raised any fry. I've had these fish on the backburner for a while now, was focusing on Otocinclus mainly. Am just about to revisit them though...set up the spawning tank yesterday so hopefully will have further progress to report soon.
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.07.02(Mon)8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great! Very Happy It would be nice to be able to buy some fry from you if and when but I suppose the export laws prevent it? It's not a forbidden species so maybe it's possible?

I started to read your O. cocama profile in Submissions. A long and thorough report which I have not finished but am working on!
Very Happy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.07.05(Thu)8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm not sure if there are any export laws here (mainly import)...but I'd have to go through a transhipper or something. Got to wait until I have enough fry to spare! Not sure I want to get into the shipping business though, maybe if I become a more professional hobbyist. Very Happy

Still no second round luck with those cocama either, though I have about 300 regular Otocinclus fry going at the moment. I can't help but think the triggers must be different. Going through another dry season simulation right now to see if that helps.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: