Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New fish owner
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Aqua Barker
Members

PostPosted: 2012.05.28(Mon)15:05    Post subject: New fish owner Reply with quote

Hello, Brand new to the site and am looking for some advice. I have recently purchased a 1 gallon (yes a ONE gallon) bowl fish kit. I knew very little about fish but wanted just one or two as a pet. So off to the store I went!! I was advised by the pet store owner to not put more than 2 or 3 very small fish in it and to just make regular water changes. So I have an low and behold I have kept 3 Zebra Danios alive for the past month or month and a half or so. They seem to be doing just fine in there as long as I change the water and do what I need to do.

Now, I have taken a very large interest in this cool hobby and now I want a 20 gallon! I have a regular 20 gallon tank in the garage but the side panel is cracked. It still has the lid, filter and everything with it. Only a couple questions, How do I set it up? What would be cool in it? I want it to look like the ruins of Pompeii but not in some insane unrealistic manner. I appreciate any help I can get!
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.05.30(Wed)15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the side panel being broken... do you mean the glass? Does it hold water when filled and is it 'safe' to hold water with the break? You sure don't want 20 glns. of water and fish spilling all over the floor because it couldn't hold the load.

A small centerpiece fish would be a good place to start in that tank. A betta with four or five small Cories for the bottom. You could have a couple of Amano shrimp in there also.

Or, you could go with just a small school (6 or 7) of small fish like Neon tetras.

Playties or guppies are another fun, colorful fish to watch.

Make sure you cycle the tank properly before adding ANY fish to it. A proper cycle can take 4 to 6 weeks if it's not seeded from an established tank.

I started with a small 2 gln. 'betta' bowl and realized that wasn't a good environment for my betta. As I learned more I kept upgrading to larger tanks (this hobby is addictive - just saying Wink ) I now have a 29 gln. and a 135 gln.
Aqua Barker
Members

PostPosted: 2012.05.31(Thu)10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just dug the 20 gallon out of the garage. It's not broken at all!!! Lol. The tank is old though. It was build in '94. I even filled it up outside and let it sit for a day or two to make sure it could still hold. It holds just fine. It still has the original filter with it and an undergravel filter with the powerhead. The top filter is a charcoal bag filter. No need to replace the bag just empty the charcoal out and add more. Will have it set up soon.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: