Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Compatability Advise
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Russell_23
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.05.26(Sat)10:34    Post subject: Compatability Advise Reply with quote

Greetings....

I would like to ask some compatability advice from some of you with more expierence then myself...

I am researching setting up an Amazon Basin type 20 gal long tank. I am considering the following stock

8-10 Black Neon Tetra's
2-3 Otocinclus Cats
1- Zebra Pleco

My concern is knowing that the Plec won't compete for food and according to mongabay (http://fish.mongabay.com/loricariidae.htm) the zebra will actually starve itself if not deliberatly fed... Question: will the Oto's challenge the Plec for tablets, vegetables etc....and seeing as a Zebra in Ontario Canada is approx. $400.00 not something I would want to have happen!!!!!

Thanks in advance for your responses
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.05.26(Sat)14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave out the Plec. 20g is too small and this species won't suit.
L46 don't eat algae, are nocturnal and need pristine water and prefer it to flow. They do starve if people try to treat then like most other Hypancistrus or Ancistrus as they need a meaty diet but are more likely to die from poor water quality.
$400 is a lot for a fish you'll never see.
I had a breeding group in a 350 litre in the corner of my livingroom. The usual comment from visitors was "when are you going to put some fish in there"? when at the peak there were five adults and dozens of juveniles.

They are slow growing and have smaller batches of fry than most of their genus hence the prices remaining high although they are starting to drop.
Russell_23
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.05.26(Sat)22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise.... I was wanting a Plec... I have a Bristle Nose in my 36 Gal Corner .... ALso noticed that the Clown Plec is also small... as I really do not wish to have one too big....
coryfan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.05.30(Wed)17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

A school of black neon tetras (and otos) would look really nice and peaceful in a 20 gallon. They are neat fish.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: