Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
sand
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
mohammad.j.ideis
Members

PostPosted: 2012.04.26(Thu)20:16    Post subject: sand Reply with quote

I put sand in my aquarium Tuesday and I used quickrete play sand and the sand won't settle I don't know how to clean it I heard stir it to release detritus and don't stir it because of gasses and the tank looks terrible and I regret doing anything to the tank I need help the water is like silt also do I do a water change I read not to do that furthermore how do I clear the water without products thank you
Matthew Hoffman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.04.27(Fri)7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small/medium water changes every day until it clears up has worked most of the time for me, if that doesn't work you will most likely have to move any fish or plants out of the tank change all the water and wash the sand.
To wash sand put it in a deep bucket stick the end of a garden hose in the bottom and turn it on for about an hour.
If you have a gravel vacuum, use it for the water changes.
Matthew Hoffman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.04.27(Fri)8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way as far as the gasses and stirring your sand, you should not have any problem with it since it has only been in since Tuesday. A lot of people recommend stirring your sand once a week to keep gasses from building up.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.05.25(Fri)16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't rinse the sand first, I would personally take it out and rinse it. I forgot to rinse sand once and it was terrible... didn't settle after weeks so I finally had to remove it and rinse it in a bucket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: