Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Dwarf Neon Rainbows info/behaviour in community tanks
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.05.08(Tue)18:49    Post subject: Dwarf Neon Rainbows info/behaviour in community tanks Reply with quote

I have a 35 gallon tank currently cycling and I have been looking at stocking options.

I was looking at the different types of school fish I can get, and I've always had tetras and Harlequins so I was leaning more towards something different. I was thinking about cherry barbs when the dwarf neon rainbows at my LFS caught my eye.

I have read some fish profiles on them now and know how big they get and that they do much better in schools (obviously).

I just have a few questions for people who actually have kept them/have experience with them.

1. I know pictures rarely do *any* fish justice... how brilliant does the blue on their bodies get?
2. Are they very active swimmers?
3. Are they lower-, mid- or top-tank swimmers? Or everywhere?
4. Are they nippy?
5. Is eight enough for a decent small school? (I was planning on two smaller schools of them and one other species of something, but I'd consider upping it to like 12ish rainbows and no other species but a centerpiece and a school of cories)
6. What centerpiece fish would would you recommened that would go peacefully with them?
7. How tightly do they school?

I think that's all for now. Thanks in advance!

Oh also, my filtration is currently an Aquaclear 50, but I will be adding an Aquaclear 20 on within three weeks (before I add the first fish).
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.05.09(Wed)1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

35 gallon is OK for them if it is long as these need space to swim. Eight and a pearl gourami could work but would pretty much stock the tank and are all upper half swimmers. They shoal rather than school.
They are much better than in most books but need the right lighting
dalsicle
Members

PostPosted: 2012.05.17(Thu)14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a school of five, now down to three after losing two in a house move so hope I can be a bit helpful

1: Mine look very plain and white, the lighting at the LFS really brings out the blue but at home they are an almost colourless fish except for the odd blue flash as they swim. I still find them lovely to watch but a few people have commented on my "boring" looking fish.

2: Mine are very active, probably the most active I've had, it's impossible to count them when they dart in and out of the plants in my tank, they swim at lightning speed at feeding time. I have a 28g long and even though they were recommended as good for the size I think they really do need more space.

3: Mine tend to be mid to top level but do often venture to the bottom for a chill out.

4: Only one of mine is nippy with the other rainbows but all of them have been nippy with my cardinal tetras, I haven't had them in with anything bigger to know how they would be with them.

5 & 7: Eight would be a nice number, mine stick together pretty much all the time with just one or two sometimes venturing away from the others

6: Sorry I don't know what would work well as my tank is smaller so I'm limited with what I can stock it with.

Good luck with your new setup Very Happy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.07.17(Tue)16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added 10 young dwarf neons into a tank with other rainbows and regret it. I removed 5 of them this morning and will get the other 5 tonight (theyre easier to catch an hour after lights out). they are very nippy with the other rainbows which is a real shame. I will replace them with something more peaceful. would not recommend if theyre in a community tank in which they are the largest fish.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: