Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Koi in fish tank
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
dobermansquad
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.05.15(Tue)12:02    Post subject: Koi in fish tank Reply with quote

Can you keep Koi in a 90gallon? Just curious
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.05.15(Tue)13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
Koi potentially grow to 3 feet long. A 1000 gallon pond is considered minimum size.
dobermansquad
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.05.16(Wed)4:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!.. OK thanks
havika1978
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.09.13(Thu)20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having a thoughts of getting a koi but I don't know some donts and donts in raring one. Like the food the rehabilitation. etc.
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.04.29(Mon)1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for a start, what diademhill said about the size of a body of water required is absolutely correct. Koi grow prohibitively large for any real indoor application. Ponds of a few thousand gallons are required - preferably several feet either direction and at least 1.5 m (about 5ish feet by my reckoning) are absolutely required.

The reason for the depth has a lot to do with winterhardiness and maintaining the fish through the cold months, and decreases gradually the further south you travel/the warmer the climate. A good depth on a pond allows proper overwintering without expensive de-icers, heaters, etc, and without trying to cram the koi into a tank far too small for it over the winter.

As for food, commonly available commercial koi foods not only suffice, but work wonders in my admittedly limited direct experience with these animals.

Bear in mind that an artificial pond of any size will require filtration (the smaller the pond the heavier), ideally with a water turnover rate on the order of the pond's volume three or four times an hour.

I would not keep a koi in a natural body of water as, at most lattitudes, they are invasive. Further, natural bodies of water have too many inputs and outputs to really get a sense of the water conditions and any contaminants present. A proper garden pond with a heavy liner is preferred.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: