Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Aponogeton madagascariensis (madagascar lace plant)
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
chenderson421
Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.07(Sun)5:11    Post subject: Aponogeton madagascariensis (madagascar lace plant) Reply with quote

first off not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question but I will try it here.

I have a lace plant and it does well but I need something to cleat the algae off its leaves. what type of algae eater would be gentle enough to clean this plant without hurting it? this is the only place in my aquarium with algeae
P@V
Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.08(Mon)8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as I have had Java moss I have had the same problem. I've allways had algae wanting to grow on it. It seems to capture all the junk floating around my aquarium and create an algae paradise. A couple months back I would siphon all the junk off it when needed with a really small siphon(low flow rate because it was not atached very well). It seems to have completely eliminated all the algae. You can be very delicate with a small siphon and I'm assuming that the lace plant catches lots of debris floating around?
MackEmmons
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.08(Mon)19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

With plant of such fragility I would use shrimp. But it really all depends on what kind of algae is growing.

Can you elaborate more on what size your tank is, and what fish are already in it. Also knowing the type of algae growing will make helping you much easier.
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.08(Mon)20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also reccommend shrimp^^. Red Cherry Shrimp and nerites keep my lace plant pretty clean, I still have to clip leaves that algae grows overboard on.

Is the algae red/grey? It could be food collecting on it.

Have you tried Excel spot treatments?

K
chenderson421
Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.14(Sun)19:54    Post subject: thnks Reply with quote

OK here it goes...
yes, the lace plant catches what debris is floating around... that however is not much of a problem other than the algae on it..

it is some tyme of hair algae

the aquarium contains 1 spotted climbing perch, 1 dwarf puffer and several tiger barbs- also a few mystery snails and hundreds of trumpet snails... I could get shrimp but I am worried about the fish I have eating them - I was thinking of a smaller faster algae eating fish any suggestions
chenderson421
Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.14(Sun)19:55    Post subject: oh ya Reply with quote

and the tank is a 50 g
SConure
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.05.13(Sun)23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, I'm new here. I came across this site when I was looking for info about lace plants since mine is dieing. Let me start by giving a late responce/future reference to chenderson421....

- find a fish that needs vegetation in its diet. I have 3 adult dalmation platties/mollies (+ 20 some of their babies/fry) and they go to town on that stuff! iv had issues with hair/slime algae that I couldnt get rid of and eventually it over ran the tank! (55 gal freshwater). it was an inch long and grew on EVERYTHING! eventually had to redo the tank from scratch...emptied it, took it out in the backyard and scrubbed it with a garden hose. had to buy new substrate and mostly new decore. the only piece of decore I put back in that still had the hair algae on was a rock formation (& it was completely covered with algae, like something you'd see at the bottom of a river bed!) but once I added those platties, within a week, it was 100% spotless of hair algae! They eat more algae than just hair algae too! good fish to have if you have algae problems! they just don't clean the glass lol. anything else though, decore, plants, substrate.

- Also, Otocinclus Algae Eaters are easy on plants and non-aggressive community fish. I have 2 and they mostly clean the glass and decore. they only get 1"-1.5" max.
SConure
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.05.13(Sun)23:43    Post subject: my lace plant is dieing...help! lol Reply with quote

now for my issue:

hello,
my lace plant is dieing and I don't know why. I got it on march 27th. it had like 20 full leaves then. now it has like 2-3 baby leaves. the rest rotted off. I tried liquid plant food, which doesn't seem to effect it. my 3 amazon swords are flourishing nicely though!

iv read multiple sites that contradicted each other on proper amount of lighting. low vs high? which one is it? and should I plant it away from a water current or does it matter? HELP! haha This plant cost me $15!

Current water stats as of May 12, 2012 (which I'm trying to fix):
55 gal freshwater tank (started mid January 2012)

Temp: 70-78F

pH: 6.0 (was 7.4 two weeks ago. I don't know what made it jump down. the only new thing I added to the water was a Nitra-Zorb pad 5 days ago to help with ammonia & nitrates. I didn't read anything on the box that said Nitra-Zorb effected pH. I added pH UP saturday night and got it to 6.4. Tested it sunday morning and its at 6.0 again.
Side note, Chemi-Pure didn't work to reduce ammonia. The only thing Chemi-Pure did was turn my filter pads black & clogged them, and reduced the life span of them. I had to change them before 4 weeks were up otherwise my filter box would have flooded over. Saw the same thing happening with the Nitra-Zorb pad, which is now hanging on the inside of the tank, over a bubble curtain/current, rather than in the filter box.)

ammonia: 1.0 (this actually increased by 0.50 even after I added the Nitra-Zorb pad.)
nitrite: 0.0
nitrate: 40

Livestock/Plants:
3 Amazon Swords, 1 Lace Plant, 1 Minnow, 2 Otocinclus Algae Eaters, 3 Kuhlii Loaches, 6 Flame Von Rio Tetras, 5 Harlequin Rasboras, 2 Threadfin Rainbows, 20+ Dalmation Platties/Mollies (3 are adult females, the rest are babies/fry), 2 Dwarf Gouramis, & 1 male Crowntail Betta.

Thanks for your help!
SConure
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.05.13(Sun)23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

....oh and my substrate is fine white play sand. I washed it really good before I added it to the tank. had gravel before (last year), but since I got a new background back in January, now it looks like an ocean! lol
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: