Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I am about to start my first marine fish tank and need help.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nicolaas
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.04.28(Sat)13:08    Post subject: I am about to start my first marine fish tank and need help. Reply with quote

I am a freshwater fan and having more then 100fish, I want to go to the next level.

The tank is a 25long and has a power head rated 500l/h and a power head rated 400l/h, I will get one more rated 400l/h.

I have been thinking about the stoking and have a idea of the fish I'd like to have,2 ocellaris clowns and a flame angel.

So any help is wanted,dead or alive!
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.04.29(Sun)18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a 25 gallon tank?
I respectfully suggest that you stop at the pair of occelaris clowns and skip the third fish- at least for the first year or two. The general rule of thumb in salt water is one small fish per ten gallons; this means that if the tank is extremely stable and well maintained, you may be able to get away with a third fish, but it needs to be a small one, and flames actually do get to a fair size. They are also very active swimmers and need a little room; I wouldn't recommend one in less than a 45G tank. A year or two down the road you may want to consider a third fish, but I would advise picking something smaller.

If your clowns spawn (and they probably will!) and you have some entertaining inverts in the tank (I suggest some cleaner shrimp and either hermits or snails) there will be lots of colourful action to watch. SW aquariums are much more vibrant and full of movement than FW, so two fish in a tank aren't a disappointment in any way. I kept nothing but inverts and a pair of clowns in my 90G tank for the first six months, and they were endlessly entertaining!

How about other equipment? Are you going to have a sump? What kind of skimmer/lighting are you going to have? Is this to be a FO, FOWLR, or reef tank?
nicolaas
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.05.03(Thu)9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is going to be a FO with live rock as the filter.

Light will be a 20 and a 10watt.

What other fish do you think would work in this set up?
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.05.03(Thu)13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

As your eventual third fish? Bearing in mind that it would be wise to wait a year to make sure the tank is stable before pushing the stocking boundaries that far, here are a couple of suggestions:
Neon Goby (either blue or yellow)- a small, peaceful fish with cleaner tendencies. Captive-bred specimens are available as well, which is a boon if you're concerned about the hobby's impact on the environment. I should note that I have not personally kept this species of fish, but they are fairly common in the trade and have a good reputation.

Royal gramma. They're reasonably hardy and significantly smaller than a flame angel; they also don't have the same aggressive tendencies. Do make sure you provide lots of rockwork; they need plenty of hiding places to feel secure.

I also suggest considering a pair of skunk cleaner shrimp instead of a third fish- they are ridiculously entertaining and a slightly lighter bioload for the tank to support.

If the tank has live rock, then it is a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) tank. Oh, the abbreviations our hobby has! Wink Lighting isn't a concern as long as you aren't considering adding corals or anemones to the setup; don't worry about increasing the wattage.

You may want to consider adding a large canister filter for mechanical filtration; it would greatly increase your total water volume and make the tank more stable. You would have to replace the filter media monthly to ensure that the filter doesn't turn into a nitrate factory, though.
nicolaas
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.05.04(Fri)11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read about the neon goby and I really like them.

I know to wait 8-12 months before getting more fish.

The royal gramma I like but not as much.

What about the Blue Green Reef Fish?

The skunk cleaner shrimp is also a nice looking shrimp.

Would a internal power filter rated 500l/h with bone charcoal be all right?

Could you help me with some of the meany salt water abbreviations?

What do you know about the (Centropyge aurantonotus) Fireball Angelfish?
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.05.04(Fri)20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicolaas wrote:

What about the Blue Green Reef Fish?

You mean the Blue Green Reef Chromis, Chromis viridis? They are a schooling fish, you shouldn't purchase an individual specimen. They need to be kept in groups of at least three. In a larger tank that is stable and well established, however, they are a beautiful addition. I have kept a school of these fish for several years and they are enjoyable to watch!

Quote:
What do you know about the (Centropyge aurantonotus) Fireball Angelfish?

I have not kept these fish; however, they are not one of the beginner species from the Centropyge genus. They may prove more difficult to keep than the Flame Angel you mentioned earlier, and, being the same size and of similar temperment, present the same problems to your tank- they may prove too aggressive for such a small tank, and they carry a somewhat heavy bioload for that third fish.

nicolass wrote:

I'm not a big fan of internal filters. They take up valuable space in the aquarium, and if you're adding live rock there isn't going to be much room for a filter as well. I really do recommend an external canister filter if you're going to have mechanical filtration; otherwise one of the larger HOB (Hang on Back) Aquaclear filters might do...
If you're worried about the expense of a canister filter, I recommend backing away from salt. Setting up a SW aquarium costs ten times as much as setting up an equivalent FW aquarium; even the water changes are expensive (unless you have access to filtered seawater for free), and are needed much more regularly than in freshwater.

Quote:
Could you help me with some of the meany salt water abbreviations?

Yes... but I would actually recommend doing some independent research to help you understand them. Try to get a copy of Bob Fenner's "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" for a start, and spend some time looking through the articles at www.wetwebmedia.com. Doing this type of research will help you understand the principles involved and explain such abbreviations at the same time.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2012.05.06(Sun)6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicolaas wrote:

I agree with Osprey on the internal filter; it's not the best choice.
There are some excellent protein skimmers on the market today that can provide true nutrient export and reduce your dissolved organics. You can always apply activated carbon as needed with an external HOB.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: