Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Stocking a 20G Long
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Horsejumper902
Members

PostPosted: 2012.04.07(Sat)7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing the filter first is a great idea. I'll get on that today. I found the filter cartridges here: http://www.yourfishstuff.com/products/Marineland-Emperor-Filter-Cartridges-Size-E-280%7B47%7D400.html but it also has this Bio-wheel thing, which it says on the filter description doesn't need replacement, but I just don't know.

Again, thanks for all the help. I can't wait to get this thing set up. It's going to be the longest month ever while I wait to move into my new apartment.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.04.07(Sat)7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give the biowheel a scrub under the tap. No need to replace it.
The cartridge contains carbon so just buy the small pack as these will last for ages. Use one with carbon in for the first month and then cut the carbon out, swish the cartridge in a bucket of water from the tank and put it back. They can last for years. It is handy to have carbon ready in case you need to remove medications or for if you get contamination.

You can actually set up a filter to start cycling by fixing it up on a bucket and adding a couple of shrimp but in your case, as you are moving, I would just clone from your existing tank.
Horsejumper902
Members

PostPosted: 2012.04.08(Sun)9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.
I plugged the filter in while it was in a bucket of water yesterday and the motor began running, but it would not start running water through the filter. I tried filling the filter with water, as this is what usually gets my old one going again, but it didn't work. Any tips for what else I should do to get it running properly? (maybe it just needs to chug for a while longer). I took it apart and rinsed all the parts out but I couldn't detect any clogs, it seems pretty clean.
nicolaas
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.04.08(Sun)13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am not wrong this is a water fall stile filter.
You could try to seal the intake pipe at the valve with aquarium safe silicone.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: