Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Angelfish breeding question
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jarnhestur
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.29(Thu)15:09    Post subject: Angelfish breeding question Reply with quote

So, two of my angelfish have paired off and started laying eggs. I moved them (the fish) to a 20g tank to see if the eggs would hatch next time. They have laid eggs 3 or 4 times now. The male tends to eat them immediate after they are laid. The first few times I could see him fertilizing them, but I haven't seen it recently.

Is there a way to encourage him to fertilize the eggs? If he's not up to the task, I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to swap in another male? (I have 4 angels total, one confirmed female, one confirmed male, what I believe are two more males). Alternatively, I'll just leave them to their own devices and see if they ever get it right.

I don't have my heart set on raising angels, but I have 3 daughters and well... Smile
yosef
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.30(Fri)3:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that they're eggs,because angel fish tend to guard them until they grow up.I have 2 angel fish and they did lay eggs and they were protecting them from other fish but then the eggs disappeared maybe they hatched,and were sucked up by the filter. Are you sure they male ate them,maybe it was another fish.
In any case the only sure way to get them to lay eggs is to make sure the aquarium is full of plants and other hiding places,otherwise other fish will eat them,and the angel fish won't fell comfortable to lay eggs.
Let us know what happens.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2012.03.30(Fri)19:05    Post subject: Re: Angelfish breeding question Reply with quote

jarnhestur wrote:
Alternatively, I'll just leave them to their own devices and see if they ever get it right.

That's the best way to go. It's normal for tank-bred young couples to be confused at first because parenting has been gradually bred out of them over the decades, but they eventually figure out what they're supposed to be doing...

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
jarnhestur
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.04.03(Tue)9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after the eggs were laid, I removed the parents from the tank. About 2/3 of the eggs turned white and fell off, but 1/3 are wriggling like mad. I guess the boy did something right!

My daughters are extremely excited. Hopefully, we'll get some survivors!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: