Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Hello,,,again!
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Akula
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.25(Sun)5:11    Post subject: Hello,,,again! Reply with quote

Hi All,

I was an old frequent poster a few years ago. Still have my same 3 foot tank with only a few fish surving from original stock.

Looking to convert my tank to an African Lake Malawai Mbuna tank.

Hope to have some well-meaning advice & help to finalise my African cichlid tank!

Thanks in advane,

Bill
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.26(Mon)7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

I did see your other threads and have a recommendation: return all fish to the store, with the exception of the bristlenose. Stock with a colony of Pseudotropheus saulosi (blue/black males and yellow females). You could stock 3 males, 9 females and the bristlenose, provided you have adequate filtration and do regular water changes.

Most mbuna are too large/aggressive for a 3 foot tank, but the saulosi could work well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Akula
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.26(Mon)18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nikelodeon79..

I looked at article on this site on Saulosi..
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_saulosi.php

Max length 9 cm minimum 100 L tank.

Maingano says max length 8 cm minmum 100 L tank.

How would it be better stocking 12 Saulosi in my 160 L tank rather than the 5 mixed Cichlids I have now when the Saulosi on average grows a little bigger?

The Saulosi are still agressive, no? Would it make a difference if I added a bunch of Maingano females to spread out agression?

I have more than adequate filtration, a Canister filter with 5 times the flow for my tank size.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.26(Mon)18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this forum but unfortunately, most of the gallery pages are incorrect.

The saulosi is much less aggressive than the maingano so it is possible to keep them in a tank with a smaller footprint.

You could possibly attempt the maingano (adding several more females)... but most folks over at cichlid-forum recommend anything less than a four foot tank for them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Akula
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.26(Mon)23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm OK I'll think about my options. Probably add 2 more females, make some new hiding spots. But I'm keen on keeping the 2 Labs.

Maybe the admin should update the info on the articles on fish section? I based my purchase on that info which is unfortunate as I wanted to get my stocking right.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.27(Tue)8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you keep the labs, you need to add at least one more, for a total of 1m/2f. Labs get awfully big and your tank will be very overstocked, so you'll have to do lots of large water changes.
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: