Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lake Malawi Mbuna tank stocking & Water parametres
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Akula
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.25(Sun)5:37    Post subject: Lake Malawi Mbuna tank stocking & Water parametres Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 3 foot tank, 170litres, Strong canister filter, mildly planted, 60watt lights.

My pH is 7.4 Ammonia Nitrate etc is all at zero. I've had it for 3 years & the water is always crystal clear with regular partial water changes. There has been fish deaths over the years as I have neglected it a little due to new baby in the house. But I am now paying much more attention to find out if my tank & stocking fish are both healthy.

Current recent stocking is aiming for Lake Malawi Mnuba tank
2 young Electric Eels, 2 young Mainbanos, 1 Krib, 1 Brisstlenose Pleco.
Also 10 Neon Tetras leftover from earlier stocking.

Look I know the Netras should not be in an African tank, cause of differing pH & agression. So far so good though for the month, the cichlids tend to leave them alone.

OK my questions are as follows;
My pH is 7.4 I wanted to raise the pH to at least an 8. But from reading this site I'm having 2nd thoughts wether to play around with pH spikes lest it kill all my fish. My LFS said to me the afrikan could thrive in a pH range from 7.4 to 8.5 because of where they're bred. So after generation to generation of breeding in lower pH, LFS shop said they have adapted to Australian water conditions.
How true is that statement? SHould I leave my pH as it is so not to de-stable the water chemistry by raising pH too quick? I know I can use crushed coral or seashells or even baking soda.

What do you reccomend? The African cichlids seem very healthy & very active. One gets bullied but that's another topic! Do I raise pH to 8? Then that would mean the Neon Tetras would suffer. If I leave it as it is, all my fish community seem happy. Maybe as cichlids get bigger they may attack the Neons?

Yeah so basically my questions are regarding raising pH to make it a nicer environment for Lake Malawi Cichlids? Even though they seem very happy. And if I do raise pH, will I then need to get rid of the Tetras & PLeco?

Any helpful replies will greatly be appreciated!

Akula
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.26(Mon)7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the stocking you list in this thread:
Akula wrote:
Also 10 Neon Tetras leftover from earlier stocking.

This is the stocking you list in your other thread:
Also 10 Neon Tetras leftover from earlier stocking.What are my options? If I add another Maingano female or 2 would that ease the problem? I also have 2 Electric Yellows, 1 Krib, a Pleco.[/quote]

Do you have eels or labs (electric yellows)? The eels would absolutely not be suitable for your tank and the labs would be pushing it.

The maingano are unsuitable, as I mentioned in your other thread, and they are likely the cause of your fish deaths. I'm frankly surprised the tetras are still alive... it's only because the mbuna are young. The maingano will kill everything in the tank when he reaches maturity.

Quote:
My pH is 7.4 Ammonia Nitrate etc is all at zero. I've had it for 3 years & the water is always crystal clear with regular partial water changes.

The pH is fine, don't mess with it. As stated, aggression is likely what's killing your fish, even if you don't see it. Stress due to aggression can cause disease and deaths.

What test kit are you using? Nitrate in a cycled tank will almost never be 0, unless you are very heavily planted, and you state that the tank is only mildly planted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Akula
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.26(Mon)17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the typo - It's definately 2 Electric Yellows(Labs) NOT eels.

The Maingano's haven't killed any fish as they were only purchased along with the Labs few weeks ago. The Neon Tetras have been in there for a year. The fish deaths were only 2 or 3 fish about 6 months ago as I was neglecting the tank, doing water changes every few months maybe longer. As I said I was very busy with a baby in the house.

Like I said I know the Tetra's shouldn't be there & I will probably take them back but can't find any LFS who will buy them. The Maingano only picks on the other Maingano & the Krib chases a Lab every now & then.

Test kit is at home it's aqua-something I can't remember exactly I'm at work now. 6 bottles testing everything. Nitrate maybe wasn't zero but low - I meant to say zero as in normal but got mixed up.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.26(Mon)18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would see if you could get store credit, at least, for the labs, the krib, and the tetras, and you could try a colony of maingano if you have your heart set on them. You'll want LOTS of rockwork... lots of different territory and places to hide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: