Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Maingano too agressive
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Akula
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.26(Mon)4:08    Post subject: Maingano too agressive Reply with quote

Hi,

I have an African Cichlid setup including a pair of small Mainganos(1 male, 2nd unsure) in a 160 litre tank.

1 Maingano completely dominates the other, chasing it often & making the submissive Maingano hide behind the suction filter pipe most of the day. There are a few hiding spots but the dominant male has claimed them all.

What are my options? If I add another Maingano female or 2 would that ease the problem? I also have 2 Electric Yellows, 1 Krib, a Pleco.

Would really love to keep the Mainganos.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.26(Mon)7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is your tank (dimensions) and what filtration do you have?

Mbuna do not do well in pairs. Generally, four females to one male is what you need.

Maingano are one of the mbuna species that generally require more fish (at least Cool to spread out aggression. A 160 liter tank is not large enough to keep them.

You may be able to stock the yellow labs, depending on the dimension of your tank, but they get quite large so I wouldn't do it in anything less than a 200 liter tank.

A few hiding spots are not good enough for mbuna... rockwork should pretty much dominate the tank.

The krib certainly doesn't belong in the tank with the mbuna.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Akula
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.26(Mon)17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well according to the Maingano article on this site, on the following link http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Maingano_Melanochromis_cyaneorhabdos.php , the minimun tank requirement is 100 Litres.

So am just going by what I read on this site, since I have 160 L I thought a pair of Mainganos would be fine.

I don't have exact dimensions with me but it's an average sized 3 foot tank.
Filtration is a Canister filter Fluval, which is generally for a 4 foot tank.

Since I don't have the space for 3 more females, would I be able to get away with 1 Maingano with the rest of my stock? If I take away the agressive one? Or would that make the submissive one newly agressive to the others?

I have lots of rocks & no room for more. But only 3 good hiding spots so it'll have to do.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.26(Mon)18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, this FORUM is great, but the gallery leaves a lot to be desired, unfortunately.

As I stated in your other post, if you have your heart set on the maingano, return everything else and get more maingano. Try to rearrange your rock so there are lots of hiding places and caves (with multiple entrances).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: