Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How often to change light bulbs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.18(Sun)0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been under the impression they should be changed about every 12 months, but I've never really knew much about them or understood properly why they should be changed. If someone who knows more than me on the matter questions it, probably worth listening to (especially if it can save you $$ Razz )
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.18(Sun)7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to put more weight on hard data, no offense intended. People could be right in changing the bulb every year, but I really haven't seen the evidence to support this. Perhaps try checking the bulb specs that you are using, assuming the company provides the data sheets. If we were talking CFLs or power compacts then thats a different matter as the decay is much greater on these...but linear fluorescents now are pretty good.

I will admit that what the specs do lack is PAR values though. The decay specs are based on lumens, which is all well and good for the human eye, but doesn't definitively say how good they are for growing plants.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.20(Tue)3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

unissuh wrote:
I will admit that what the specs do lack is PAR values though. The decay specs are based on lumens, which is all well and good for the human eye, but doesn't definitively say how good they are for growing plants.

That's a good point. This article briefly mentions PUR and replacing lights - doesn't really give any data though...only one I've seen even talk about it though.
Quote:
ANY fluorescent light used for aquarium applications such as planted aquariums or reef, slowly burns up phosphors and other rare earth elements that produce the light energy necessary for PUR.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: