Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
LED Lighting experiment
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
carpalstunna
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.25(Fri)9:36    Post subject: LED Lighting experiment Reply with quote

I have been scouring the internet and this forum and I feel like there is limited information on using LED lights in a planted tank. There are also few choices when it comes to LED light options (althought I just saw that current USA came out with and LED line that looks promising). LED technology seems promising due to the high lumens per watt, long bulb life and the energy saving.
I have a medium light 55Gal planted tank (120W Current USA SunPaq CF) that I have had mixed results with plants. I have always struggled with growing dwarf hairgrass for some reason. So I am starting an experiment of which I will post the results. I have ordered 5 patches of dwarf hairgrass and an additional LED light fixture.
I ordered a Aquaray grobeam500 (http://americanaquariumproducts.com/LEDLights.html) which is a 12 watt LED fixture with 5 emitters. I will be using this in addition to my 120watt fixture and since this fixture is much smaller I will be mounting directly over the planted area for the grass. I will let you all know how things progress.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.25(Fri)13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

LED's are the way of the future, but right now they still aren't there.

They are bright, yes...but doesn't have the strength to reach the bottom of most tanks.

Here is one thread
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262244&highlight=LED

And this guy did it right...

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287713&highlight=LED

Hope this helped
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.25(Fri)13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only LED I have seen with positive results for plants

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/123797-diy-led-light-45-gallon-tank.html
carpalstunna
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.25(Fri)18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree dale, after doing a lot of research most available LED lights appear to be virtually useless for a planted tank. Many give a lot of light and even a lot of lumens at a great dept but often not the right kind of light. Many do not have the proper PAR requirements for a planted tank. These seems to have the most promise. These have what is called a CREE emmitter which is supposed to be ideal for plant growth.
According to the site I posted earlier, Studies/Test in plant growth has shown a 12 Watt 6500K Full spectrum/daylight LED Surpassing a similar 175 Watt 6500K Full spectrum Metal Halide!!
Obviously the proof will be in the pudding. Also I will be running this in addition to my CF setup. I just planted the hairgrass a few hours ago and I will most likely recieve my lights on monday or tuesday. I took some pics and will compare weekly growth updates to see if the LED makes an improvement. As I mentioned before I have tried 2 times and failed with hairgrass and I know it is because my lighting was insufficient especially in the front of the tank. We will see.
Ericaminto
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.23(Thu)3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEDs offer better light, with unnoticeable lumen deterioration,convert energy to light instead of heat.LEDs run cool to the touch, significantly reducing the risk of fires or burns.

led light bulbs
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.02(Fri)11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ericaminto wrote:
LEDs offer better light, with unnoticeable lumen deterioration,convert energy to light instead of heat.LEDs run cool to the touch, significantly reducing the risk of fires or burns.

led light bulbs

I agree with you, however they do not (price stand point) have the par needed to most Med - High tech tanks. Safetly and Heat aside.
anern2000
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.15(Thu)0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some led light manufacturers here: http://www.topledsupplier.com
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.04.28(Sun)23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another persistant problem is the lack of truly well-designed, long-life LED rigs. Fluval produces an LED light rig billed for growing plants that certainly puts out quite a bit more light than even their T5HO systems, at a comparable pricepoint, and across the spectrums needed for plant growth.

In my experience, however, this causes more harm than good. The LEDs have short lifespans, either being cheaply assembled themselves or cheaply installed into the system, and whole bars are prone to failure. Worse, once failed, the LEDs cannot be replaced.

These LED light systems also don't achieve anywhere near the few years one would expect a diode to operate - my guess is this is because the LEDs are pushed quite a bit harder than maybe they should be, to achieve the necessary light levels.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: