Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How to treat peppered cory
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.11(Sun)16:56    Post subject: How to treat peppered cory Reply with quote

After reading through previous threads regarding corys and treating them I think that I may be doing the wrong thing? Question My tanks temp was at 78* prior to my cory getting sick and I thought it might have been b/c the water temp was higher for the betta. I removed the betta and lowered the temp to 72* gradually. I noticed that the sick acting cory is now spinning while swimming and trying to scratch himself occasionally on the substrate or plants.? Now I am wondering if I need to bump the temp back up in case it is ick?? He acts like he is trying to get something off of himself. The other cory is fine though. I do have plants in my tank and I am wondering if I should move the sick cory to a seperate tank and treat him alone? I have something that is called Revive and it's ingredients are:
neomycin sulfate(<10%)
methylene blue (<0.5%)
proprietary polymer mixture, buffers,
EDTA malachite green chloride (<0.01%)
cyanocobalamin and electrolytes.
Would I be able to use this for the cory? It says it's for betta's but it's the only thing I have on hand. The dose is 1 drop per 16fl oz.
Suggestions welcome,
Paisley
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.11(Sun)17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw away the Revive.

If used in any effective concentration it will kill filter bacteria.

Your cory sounds like it is shock. What water changes are you doing?
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.11(Sun)17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

3/8 I did a 50% w/c
3/9 noticed that the cory wasn't doing well
3/10 did a 30% w/c and took betta out to lower tank temp
3/11 just did a 50% w/c
tank temp is currently 72*
Should I up the temp? The other cory is doing fine. If I put him in a hospital tank w/o a filter could I use the Revive? or cephalexin?
Thanks
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.11(Sun)17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take them back to the store.

Put the Betta back in the 10 gallon and wait at least a month before getting any more fish.
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.12(Mon)0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the straight forward advice! I will take them back tomorrow. I will wait a month before putting any other fish in the tank, although I might just consider leaving the betta w/rasboras (already in the tank) just to be on the safe side:)
P
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.12(Mon)3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

What species are the rasboras?
You may have harmed them by dropping the temperature.
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.12(Mon)13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are
Trigonopoma pauciperforatum or they were called glowlight/redline at the LFS. They seem to be doing well and I was under the impression that they could tolerate temp 73*-78*.? Also, one other little question, how often should I be doing w/c's and testing on the tank...since there aren't going to be any more additions/changes anytime soon?
P
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.12(Mon)14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you looked up the species and saw 73F what made you think that 72F would be OK and didn't you see the recommendations for 36" tanks?

Not suitable for small tanks nor with a Betta.
Glowlight Tetras would have been fine as would Harlequin rasboras.
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.13(Tue)11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heater in my tank had been set at 76* originally, before I added any fish and the temp on the tank was reading 79*. I even bought an additional tank temp reader to put inside the tank, the glass kind. It was reading the same even with the heater set so high. I adjusted the heater (for the corys after taking the betta out) to 74* and 24 hours later the tank was at 77* so I lowered the heater again to 72* and 24 hours later the tank was at 75*. So I then lowered the heater between the 72 and 68*. For some reason after the 72* mark on the heater it drops to 68* so I tried to spin it into the middle of the two and 24 hours later the tank was at 72* which I had added the rasboras when the tank was at 75*. When it was at 72* I tried spinning the heater the tiniest bit to bump it up but it didn't seem to change the tank temp. The rasboras were only at 72* for about 12 hours and after speaking with the LFS guy he said they should be fine. The tank temp is now back to 76* and will be going up again today SLOWLY since the betta is back in. The LFS guy also said that the glowlight rasboras would do well with a betta and they even had a betta in the tank with them at the store, which was one of the influences on me getting them. He also said they would do great in a 10gallon as that was what they were in there. I will call the LFS and ask for clarification today.
P
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.13(Tue)11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen Oscars in ten gallon tanks at stores - not a good idea to bring them home to one. Your fish will be babies - they grow larger than Bettas.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: