Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
High Nitrites
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.11(Sun)16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there isn't a fish in the tank now or dead shrimp you will somehow need to add ammonia so that the bacteria don't die while your waiting. If you have a heater lying around you should also put it in and crank it up to 84-86*. When I added the heater to my fishless cycling tank it went MUCH quicker. I know you say that it's done but if your not going to put a live fish in there soon you will need to feed the tank with ammonia somehow....which I am sure you already know Smile Hopefully the fish you add next won't die.
P
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.11(Sun)18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can add the shrimp for now. Can't find any pure ammonia. I don't drive and live alone so going places is really hard. I guess I'll leave the shrimp in but don't know for how long. I went to get my heater which was in a 55 gall tank. It's broken so now I have to find a way to get a heater for both tanks. I tihnk the one for the 55 gallon tank would have been to hard to regulate in a small tank any way. Probably won't be able to get the heaters til late in the week. I'll just have to make due with the shrimp and keep tank running. I'm afraid to put fish in. I've been trying to cycle this tank now for almost 6 months and when I was sure it was, the fish still died even though my numbers were good, Doesn't make sense to me. When the nitrates went up did I do to many w/c's to bring it down? I tried to keep it free of excess food. Did I starve the fish with only 2 small feedings? I don't know what I'm not doing. How is your tank doing. How many fish do you have in there now? and all is well? Hope so. thanks for your help.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Jump to: